Printer Friendly

FEDERAL HIGHWAY ADMINISTRATION CELEBRATES 100 YEARS: 1893-1993

 COLUMBUS, Ohio, Oct. 4 /PRNewswire/ -- The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) celebrated its 100th birthday on Oct. 3, 1993.
 As noted by Administrator Rodney E. Slater, the agency's success has been based on building partnerships. Nowhere have these partnerships been greater than here in Ohio.
 FHWA, which now has almost 4,000 employees to administer a program of about $19 billion, began in 1893 with two employees, $10,000, and was known as the Office of Road Inquiry. General Roy Stone, a Civil War hero and civil engineer, was the first director.
 In 1898, Stone took a leave of absence to go to war (with Spain), and Martin Dodge of Cleveland, a former president of the Ohio State Road Commission, took over temporarily as director. With Stone's resignation in 1899, Dodge was formerly appointed to the office where he served until 1905. During his tenure, the first national road inventory was taken. Also, the agency was renamed the Office of Public Roads and became permament with a defined statutory role. By 1905, the budget expanded to $50,000 per year. During this same period (April 1904), the Ohio State Road Commission became the eighth permanent State highway Department nationally and the first in the midwest.
 As the Federal-aid Highway Program grew in the years ahead, so too did FHWA's partnerships in Ohio and throughout the nation. Other key events in FHWA's history include the following:
 -- The Federal-aid Road Act of 1916 which was the first continuing appropriation and the first to provide funds to counties;
 -- The Hayden-Cartwright Act of 1934 which established Highway Systems and set aside funds for highway planning;
 -- The Federal-aid Highway Act of 1944 which extended funding to urban areas, set aside funds for research and authorized designation of the Interstate Highway System;
 -- The Federal-aid Highway Act of 1956 which established the Highway Trust Fund and funded the National Interstate and Defense System of Highways on a pay-as-you-go basis;
 -- The Federal-aid Highway Act of 1962 which mandated Urban Transportation Planning;
 -- The Department of Transportation Act of 1966 which created the U.S. Department of Transportation and led to FHWA's name change from Bureau of Public Roads to the Federal Highway Administration;
 -- The National Environmental Policy Act of 1969 which requires equal consideration of the environment in agency decisionmaking;
 -- The Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act of 1991 which funds completion of the Interstate, provides increased State and local flexibility, and focuses FHWA's efforts on intermodal efficiency and effectiveness and environmental enhancement.
 As the Federal Highway Program has grown and expanded, so too have its partnerships with State and local units of government, metropolitan planning organizations, universities, public interest groups, industry, the media and the public. In the years ahead, FHWA will continue to cherish and nourish these partnerhips with its customers.
 -0- 10/4/93
 /CONTACT: Peggy Tasker of the Federal Highway Administration, 614-469-6896/


CO: Federal Highway Administration ST: Ohio IN: SU:

AR -- CL023 -- 8562 10/04/93 17:21 EDT
COPYRIGHT 1993 PR Newswire Association LLC
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 1993 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:PR Newswire
Date:Oct 4, 1993
Words:492
Previous Article:TCI CABLEVISION OF CALIFORNIA REACHES AGREEMENTS WITH EVERY BROADCASTER IN ITS SERVICE AREAS
Next Article:SPRINT, CALL-NET CLOSE ALLIANCE

Terms of use | Copyright © 2017 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters