Printer Friendly

FEATURE/Tips for safe use of pesticides offered by Ohio Pest Control Association.

CLEVELAND--(BUSINESS WIRE FEATURES)--May 15, 1996--Pesticides are designed to rid your house and garden of dangerous or unsightly weeds, rodents or insects.

While a potential threat in the hands of a child, pesticides can be harmless to a trained exterminator or a careful homeowner who follows certain basic safety rules.

The Ohio Pest Control Association (OPCA), a professional organization of state-licensed firms dedicated to the elimination of household pests, offers the following suggestions for handling pesticides safely:

1. Be sure you really need a pesticide. Some ant and fly problems, for example, can be controlled with good sanitation. Keep your kitchen clean. Don't leave dirty dishes in the sink, especially overnight. Keep garbage in tightly-closed containers. Make sure screens fit tightly on windows.

2. If you do need a pesticide, select the right one. Any OPCA member will offer free advice, even by telephone, regarding your particular pest problem. You can also contact Ohio State University's Cooperative Extension Service. If you have a question about a specific pesticide or a branded product, the Chemical Referral Center at 1-800-262-8200 will help.

3. Read the pesticide label carefully before using, and never apply more than the label specifies. All pesticides are registered for use by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). But their safe use depends on following directions.

4. All pesticide labels say, "Keep Out of Reach of Children." But not every householder does. The EPA reports that most pesticide poisonings involve children under the age of 5. Never transfer a pesticide to a container that would attract children, such as a soft-drink bottle. It's best to store pesticides under lock in their original containers, away from food or dishes.

5. Pesticides that require protective clothing should be applied only by trained pest control applicators. But if you spill a pesticide on your skin, wash with soap and water immediately.

6. If a spray or fog is used, vacate the premises for at least the time period suggested by the applicator. Some solvents used in pesticides leave odors which are unpleasant, but these smells are rarely toxic. Air out your home if an odor remains.

7. If someone feels sick after using a pesticide, call your local poison control center, your doctor or your local hospital immediately. Keep on hand a bottle of Syrup of Ipecac, which induces vomiting, but do not use Ipecac unless told by your poison control center or physician.

The Ohio Pest Control Association notes that pesticides have helped remove disease-carrying elements from our gardens and homes and improved our quality of life. When used and stored properly, they benefit all of us.

Note: To interview an expert on pesticides in your area, please

call Art Merims at 216/522-1909.

CONTACT: Art Merims Communications, Cleveland

Art Merims, 216/522-1909
COPYRIGHT 1996 Business Wire
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 1996, Gale Group. All rights reserved. Gale Group is a Thomson Corporation Company.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Business Wire
Date:May 15, 1996
Previous Article:Mercer International reports 1996 first quarter results.
Next Article:Smartflex announces new assembly business with Hewlett-Packard.

Related Articles
The high cost of pesticide subsidies.
Disarming farming's chemical warriors: research brightens the dark underside of the green revolution.
Reassessing pesticides' value.
Pest patrol.
Flea-Control Products Threaten Pets and Children.
Environmentally responsible pest management: safer and more targeted ways than wholesale spraying are available.
Developing a comprehensive pesticide health effects tracking system for an urban setting: New York City's approach.
Information on pesticides.

Terms of use | Copyright © 2017 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters