Exposure to diacetyl.
When laboratory mice inhaled diacetyl vapors for three months, they developed lymphocytic bronchiolitis, a potential precursor of OB. None of the mice, however, were diagnosed with OB. This is one of the first studies to evaluate the respiratory toxicity of diacetyl at levels relevant to human health. Mice were exposed to diacetyl at concentrations and durations comparable to those that may be inhaled at some microwave popcorn packaging plants. These findings suggest that workplace exposure to diacetyl contributes to the development of OB in humans, but more research is needed.
Contact: Daniel L. Morgan, Ph.D., head of the Respiratory Toxicology Group, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, 111 T.W. Alexander Dr., Research Triangle Park, NC 27709. Phone: 919-541-3345. Fax: 919-541-4395. URL: www.niehs.nih.gov.
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||Emerging Food R&D Report|
|Date:||Jul 1, 2008|
|Previous Article:||Executives ... FYI.|
|Next Article:||Use ultrasound to release galactosidase from yogurt bacteria and improve viability of probiotics.|
|Popcorn flavoring endangering workers.|
|Popcorn workers at health risk, APHA says.|