Printer Friendly

Ex-teacher accused of sex abuse found dead.

A RETIRED teacher was found dead in a resevoir while on police bail over allegations of historical sex abuse.

Clive Hally, of Maesteg, was arrested earlier this year on suspicion of indecent assault, South Wales Police confirmed yesterday.

The 67-year-old was a former art teacher at Brynteg Comprehensive School in Bridgend, where he taught for 36 years.

He was released on bail as part of the investigations, but before a decision was made on whether Hally would be charged, he was found dead in Cwmwernderi Reservoir, near Maesteg, last month. There were no suspicious circumstances.

Two victims alleged to have been abused by Hally have been updated about his death and are being supported by specially trained officers from the police and its partner agencies.

A spokeswoman from South Wales Police said: "South Wales Police takes all reports of sexual assault seriously and urges victims to come forward to report it, regardless of when it happened, safe in the knowledge that they will be treated with respect and dignity and that their allegation will be fully investigated.

"In circumstances such as these, where an alleged or suspected perpetrator is deceased, specially trained officers will continue to take a victim's account and investigate as far as is possible."

A file on Hally's death has been passed to HM Coroner and his inquest is due to take place in November.

Brynteg Comprehensive School said in a statement: "We value and promote the safety and wellbeing of all our pupils and take these historical allegations very seriously. We will be working alongside partners such as Bridgend County Borough Council to look into the allegations independently." Bridgend Council said: "While the council does not have any record on file of these historical allegations having been raised with us as a local authority, we will be looking into them independently in conjunction with all relevant partners."

Sally Holland, the Children's Commissioner for Wales told the BBC: "I am shocked and saddened by the serious allegations that have been brought to light, and I encourage anybody with related information to contact South Wales Police...

"Following developments, I will be seeking assurances from the school about their safeguarding arrangements and asking them to be clear with existing pupils and parents about the procedures they have in place to protect children.

"I will also be seeking clarity from the local authority about its investigation and writing to the local safeguarding board to establish its role in all this."

COPYRIGHT 2019 MGN Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2019 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Western Mail (Cardiff, Wales)
Geographic Code:4EUUK
Date:Jun 27, 2019
Words:410
Previous Article:Redesign Britain on the Benelux model - Price.
Next Article:Welsh NHS failings led to dozens of patient deaths.
Topics:

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2021 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters |