Printer Friendly

Eta calls an end to armed campaign.

Summary: The Basque group Eta has ended its 43-year violent campaign for independence and now wants to open talks with Spain and France.

The Basque militant group Eta has announced the end of its 43-year violent campaign for independence and now wants to open talks with Spain and France.

Eta called a cease-fire last year, but this is the first time they have renounced violent methods.

In a video statement they said: "Eta has decided on the definitive end of its armed struggle."

"Eta is calling on the government of Spain and France to open a direct dialogue that's objective is a resolution of the consequences of the conflict. Eta with this historic statement demonstrates its firm compromise."

Eta has killed 829 people since the 1960s and is classified as a terrorist organisation by Spain, the European Union and the US.

They have not said what they will do with their weapons.

The news was welcomed by Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero, who said: "The memory of the victims of each of the 829 deadly victims and their families, that of so many injured that bore the unfair and abhorrent blow of terror, will be with us and with future generations of Spaniards forever."

Independent Television News Limited 2011. All rights reserved.

Independent Television News Limited 2011. All rights reserved.

Provided by Syndigate.info an Albawaba.com company
COPYRIGHT 2011 Al Bawaba (Middle East) Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2011 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Independent Television News Limited (ITN)
Geographic Code:4EUSP
Date:Oct 21, 2011
Words:229
Previous Article:Gaddafi's body to be buried in secret.
Next Article:Chinese toddler dies after hit and run.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2018 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters