Printer Friendly

Ericsson and Telecel sign Mobile Internet contract.

Business Editors

STOCKHOLM, Sweden--(BUSINESS WIRE)--June 20, 2000

Ericsson (NASDAQ:ERICY) and Telecel Comunicacoes Pessoais, the leading private telecommunications operator in Portugal, have signed a contract for equipment and services to upgrade Telecel's GSM network and introduce Mobile Internet with WAP and GPRS.

The agreement strengthens Telecel to rapidly introduce Mobile Internet using WAP and GPRS technologies. Included in the Ericsson deliveries are a complete GPRS system, a WAP Gateway/Proxy and the AXC/Tigris MultiService Access solutions. In order for Telecel to conduct extensive preparations for their first commercial launch of packet-switched applications, Ericsson has already delivered a GPRS field trial system with infrastructure, terminals and applications.

General Packet Radio Services (GPRS) introduces packet switching and the Internet Protocol to mobile networks, enabling the mobile Internet and infinite applications. Ericsson's GPRS system will enable operators to offer mobile Internet and other IP-based applications at speeds up to more than ten times as fast as current mobile networks that are optimised for voice applications. GPRS is a first vital step in the evolution to third generation (3G) mobile networks, fully enabling Mobile Internet applications and a range of other advanced data services.

"This agreement demonstrates Telecel's commitment to provide new, innovative and top-quality services to our Customers. We believe that in three to five years, about 20 percent of Telecel revenues will come from data transmission. Telecel will lead the mobile data revolution in Portugal," says Paulo Neves, Telecel's Marketing Director.

"This win further cements Ericsson's leadership in high speed mobile networks. Ericsson has been selected as a vendor in a majority of the commercial 3G systems announced in the world to date," says Fatima Raimondi, Director Ericsson Portugal.

Ericsson is leading the development of 3G mobile communications and the transition to 3G systems. Ericsson offers a smooth transition path from all 2G systems to 3G systems based on EDGE, WCDMA, and cdma2000. Ericsson is the only supplier with a full range of both second and third generation systems. The company offers a 3G portfolio with end-to-end solutions, including terminals, applications and infrastructure.

Ericsson is the leading communications supplier, combining innovation in mobility and Internet in creating the new era of mobile Internet. Ericsson provides total solutions covering everything from systems and applications to mobile phones and other communications tools. With more than 100,000 employees in 140 countries, Ericsson simplifies communications for customers all over the world.

Read more at:

About Telecel

Telecel is the leading private telecommunications operator in Portugal. The company operates a nation-wide cellular network based on the GSM900 and GSM1800 digital standards and was one of the first operators in the world to offer GSM services. Telecel also operates as an Internet Service Provider and has started to offer fixed network services in January of this year.

With more than 1.7 million customers, of which about 70% were prepaid, Telecel's network currently covers approximately 100% of the population of mainland Portugal, serving also the Islands of Madeira and Porto Santo and Azores.

Vodafone AirTouch Plc, the world's largest mobile telecommunications operator, holds 50.9% of Telecel's share capital, the remaining 49.1% being freely floated on the Lisbon Stock Exchange.
COPYRIGHT 2000 Business Wire
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2000, Gale Group. All rights reserved. Gale Group is a Thomson Corporation Company.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Business Wire
Date:Jun 20, 2000
Previous Article:ADVISORY/EPA To Hold Public Hearing in Atlanta, Georgia Regarding Heavy-Duty/Diesel Proposal.
Next Article:Universal Beverages Announces Major Private Label Business.

Related Articles
Ericsson to deliver $58 Million GPRS system to Orange in UK to provide new mobile Internet services.
Ericsson clinches $176 million in contracts with China Unicom.
Ericsson Wins GSM and GPRS Order from Islandssimi.
Ericsson's Multi-Service Network Solution ENGINE Selected by Italian EdisonTel.
Ericsson chosen as sole 3G supplier by Mobitel in Slovenia.
Ecast Showcases Mobile Payment Technology; Consumers Can Use Cellular Phones to Pay for Music, Games and Internet Connections.
Ericsson Wins $300 Million Order in Yugoslavia.
Ericsson wins $100 million first GPRS contract in Ukraine.
Ericsson and Turkcell sign $400 million mobile network contract.
Ericsson and GMCC Sign Contracts for GSM and GPRS Expansion in Guangdong, China.

Terms of use | Copyright © 2018 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters