Printer Friendly

Electric blankets give town a bad name.

TESTS by trading standards officers in Nuneaton have revealed the highest number of unsafe electric blankets anywhere in the county.

Of all of the blankets taken to Nuneaton Fire Station for testing earlier in the month, 38 per cent were found to be dangerous.

More than a third displayed faults which meant they were hazardous or potentially lethal. Faults included damaged wiring, exposed elements and no over-heat safety cut-off protection.

Running a close second to Nuneaton in the blanket league of shame was Warwick, with 36 per cent. The best figures came from Rugby, where only 30 per cent of tested blankets were dangerous.

Blankets which had inappropriate fuses, or damaged or old-style plugs were repaired. Owners of condemned blankets received a voucher entitling them to money off the cost of a new blanket. The figures reveal an increase of more than 10 per cent on the number of blankets which had to be destroyed when tests were carried out a year ago.

Noel Hunter, director of Warwickshire Trading Standards, whose staff carried out the tests, said: "The fact that a third of all the electric blankets we tested failed has to be a matter of concern but we are pleased we have been able to remove these dangerous blankets from use.

"Unsafe electric blankets are the cause of many house fires each year and can often lead to death or serious injury.

"Elderly people are particularly at risk, making up a large percentage of reported deaths, and this is why we targeted this age group with our testing programme."

Further tests will be carried out at Bedworth Fire Station on Wednesday, November 12 for the over 60s and by appointment only.
COPYRIGHT 2003 Coventry Newpapers
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2003 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Coventry Evening Telegraph (England)
Date:Oct 31, 2003
Words:282
Previous Article:'STRIKE GOES ON' VOW FROM POST WORKERS.
Next Article:Your Evening Telegraph is changing...to serve you better.


Related Articles
OAPs living with bedtime perils; ELECTRIC BLANKET TESTING SESSIONS SHOW UP WORRYING FIGURES.
Electric shocker.
Make sure winter is cosy, not costly; PENSIONERS MUST ACT NOW TO GET FREE ELECTRIC BLANKET CHECKS.
Electric blankets fail safety tests.
Electric blankets and health.
Staffordshire News: Test your electric blankets; CANNOCK.
Letter: Your Say - To The Point.
Blankets fail the 'safe and sound' tests.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2021 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters |