Printer Friendly

Elderly sisters saved from gas fume home; Victims, aged 82 and 92, recover in hospital after neighbour raises alarm.

Byline: ADELINA CAMPOS

BY ADELINA CAMPOS TWO elderly sisters were lucky to be alive last night after a hero neighbour found them passed out in their home.

The women, aged 82 and 92, are believed to have fallen unconscious after inhaling carbon monoxide.

They were rushed to hospital after the alarm was raised by a concerned resident on Blarney Street in Cork city who had called to check in on them on Saturday morning.

Gardai said last night the victims, named locally as the Norton sisters, could have died if kind neighbour Angela Marshall had not called by.

The retired shopkeepers were last night recovering in Cork University Hospital.

Two gardai who attended the scene were also being treated.

Tom Coleman, chairman of the Blarney Street and Surrounding Areas Community Association, told the Irish Sunday Mirror: "Angela lives nearby and she calls in on them regularly.

"She went up to their house at around 8.45am but there was no response from the ladies.

"She went back down again and knocked on the door a little while later and when there was still no response, she contacted the gardai. It must have been around 9.30am. Gardai arrived within minutes. They broke down the door to gain entry - that's when they discovered the two ladies."

It is understood the pensioners were found in the downstairs living room sitting near the fire.

One of them was lying unconscious on the floor as if she had fallen from the couch.

Mr Coleman said: "We are still not sure if it was carbon monoxide poisoning, although that's the most likely theory. They must have been overcome by something if they didn't go to bed." Mr Coleman, who lives on Blarney Street, said it was thanks to the community's great support that this incident didn't turn into a tragedy.

He added: "It is a very senior area, there are a lot of elderly people.

"So we are conscious to keep close contact with them.

"We have a senior group as well. There is a great community spirit and this came to fruition on Saturday. "It's really important to always keep in touch with elderly people and make sure they are well."

He praised Mrs Marshall's quick actions and the response of emergency services.

Mr Coleman added: "Angela is just an ordinary citizen who lives nearby, she is fantastic. And the gardai were outstanding.

"We have fantastic community gardai here, there is good communication and the lads that were on duty on Saturday morning were brilliant."

Mr Coleman described the Norton sisters as "lovely ladies" who once owned a grocery shop on the street but have since retired.

news@irishmirror.ie

Gardai arrived within minutes & broke the door down TOM COLEMAN community chairman

CAPTION(S):

Community: women live in Blarney Street, Cork city

COPYRIGHT 2014 MGN LTD
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2014 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Sunday Mirror (London, England)
Date:Nov 30, 2014
Words:468
Previous Article:'TAG MURDER SUSPECTS TO STOP FUGITIVES'.
Next Article:Bishop quits Twitter after Rangers bile over Celtic pic.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters