Editor's report January 1, 2001 through December 31, 2003*.
Status of Manuscripts Submitted during This Period
(1) Manuscripts rejected and withdrawn 238 73.5
(2) Manuscripts awaiting reviewer reports on 2 0.6
(3) Manuscripts for which a revise/resubmit decision 28 8.7
has been rendered
(4) Manuscripts accepted for publication 56 17.2**
Total Submissions 324 100.0
Supplementary Information regarding Manuscripts Submitted during This
Mean Median Interquartile Range
First-Round Papers 77.8 days 69 days 57-95 days
n = 322
Subsequent-Round Papers 72.6 days 69 days 41-101 days
n = 89
* The incoming editor began receiving all new manuscripts effective
January 1, 2004. Since that date, she has received 19 manuscripts, of
which 4 have been rejected, 4 have received invitations to revise and
resubmit, and 11 are under initial review.
** A more useful way to depict the overall acceptance rate is to
calculate the ratio of (4) to the sum (1) + (4), which renders an
acceptance rate of 20 percent.
*** Defined as number of days elapsed between receipt of manuscript and
mailing of editorial notice. Third-round manuscripts typically have a
review period of 2-4 weeks, and fourth-round manuscripts a review period
of 1-3 weeks.