Early warning of lead poisoning.
Your family dog may be the best early warning system for lead poisoning. "Often dogs show signs of lead intoxication before children, and the signs in humans are more subtle than in dogs," said Dr. Stan Casteel, a toxicologist at the College of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Missouri-Columbia. "Since the test for lead poisoning in dogs is much cheaper than the human one, it is a good idea to have the dog tested first."
While the main signs of lead poisoning in humans can be subtle, mainly slower learning or impairment at the neuro-psychological level, the main symptom of lead poisoning in dogs is much more overt - an upset of the digestive system indicated by diarrhea, vomitting, or stomachache. The pet may stop eating and, in severe cases, may have seizures.
If your dog shows signs or symptoms of lead poisoning, have your pet's lead level checked. It may save your child from the ravages of lead poisoning.
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Title Annotation:||sick family dog|
|Publication:||Pediatrics for Parents|
|Date:||May 1, 1993|
|Previous Article:||Fathers and breast feeding.|
|Next Article:||Fetal life and learning deficits.|