Printer Friendly

ETHYL CORPORATION ANNOUNCES PLANS TO BUILD WORLD-CLASS PETROLEUM ADDITIVES LABORATORY FACILITY IN RICHMOND, VA.

 ETHYL CORPORATION ANNOUNCES PLANS TO BUILD WORLD-CLASS
 PETROLEUM ADDITIVES LABORATORY FACILITY IN RICHMOND, VA.
 RICHMOND, Va., May 4 /PRNewswire/ -- Ethyl Corporation (NYSE: EY) today announced plans to build a $70 million world-class petroleum additives laboratory facility in a research park to be located on the site of the former Virginia State Penitentiary in Richmond.
 The new facility will support research and development activities by Ethyl Petroleum Additives, Inc., in gasoline and diesel engine lubricants, hydraulic fluids, automotive and industrial gear lubricants, transmission fluids and fuels. Scheduled to open in mid-1994, the research facility initially will employ some 200 people, many of whom will transfer to Richmond from St. Louis, Mo.
 Last summer, the company announced the relocation of its Petroleum Additives Division headquarters from St. Louis to Richmond. When completed this July, the move will involve about 100 employees in the division's general office, which will be located at 203 East Cary Street in the former Christian Children's Fund building.
 Bruce C. Gottwald, president and chief executive officer of Ethyl, said: "We are extremely pleased to announce this major development for Ethyl in downtown Richmond. These new facilities will provide our Petroleum Additives Division with state-of-the-art technology for a broad range of research activity to meet increasingly demanding customer requirements and stringent environmental standards for the petroleum and automotive industries. The new research park and laboratory complex also will promote synergy between employees and provide room for future expansion."
 The new facilities will include a six-story office and chemical research building with an adjacent mechanical laboratory wing. The 215,000-square-foot expansion will double the size of the company's downtown facilities and occupy about one-half of the 16-acre prison site purchased by Ethyl in early 1991. For the past nine months, Ethyl has been demolishing the former penitentiary buildings and preparing the land for development.
 Architects for the laboratory facilities are Albert Kahn Associates, Inc., (AKA) of Detroit, specialists in design and engineering for the automotive industry. The firm was founded in 1895 by Albert Kahn, who designed such Detroit landmarks as General Motors' headquarters and the Fisher Building. AKA's work includes numerous other corporate, industrial and institutional buildings. Site planning for the research park was performed for Ethyl by Wallace Roberts & Todd of Philadelphia.
 To be located at the corner of Belvidere and Spring streets, the new structure will embody a transitional style that relates both to the neighboring Virginia Housing Development Authority building to the south and to Ethyl's headquarters campus to the east while visually expressing the technical nature of a research laboratory. Precast limestone aggregate panels will clad the building's base, and a green glass curtain wall system will cover the upper floors of the six-story office and laboratory building.
 An entry lobby on Spring Street will face a brick courtyard orienting the complex toward Ethyl's headquarters campus. The signature entry structure will be topped with a copper dome fitted with an oculus skylight. The lobby area and interior balconies will provide excellent views of the James River, and many of the interior spaces will benefit from extensive use of skylights. The entire research park will be landscaped amply with shade trees and green areas.
 The building's entry courtyard will include an interpretative design feature marking the site of the 1797 State Penitentiary designed by the noted Philadelphia architect Benjamin Henry Latrobe. Foundation ruins of the original prison, which was demolished by the Commonwealth of Virginia in 1928, were excavated and documented by Ethyl's archaeological consultants.
 -0- 5/4/92
 /CONTACT: A. Prescott Rowe, 804-788-5413, or Robert P. Buford IV, 804-788-5494, both of Ethyl Corporation/
 (EY) CO: Ethyl Corporation ST: Virginia IN: CHM SU:


JZ -- CH006 -- 6146 05/04/92 14:52 EDT
COPYRIGHT 1992 PR Newswire Association LLC
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 1992 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:PR Newswire
Date:May 4, 1992
Words:616
Previous Article:ESSEX CORPORATION REPORTS 1ST QUARTER 1992 RESULTS
Next Article:NATIONAL LABOR RELATIONS BOARD, REGION 7, ISSUES 'COMPLAINT AND NOTICE OF HEARING' AGAINST THE KROGER COMPANY


Related Articles
ETHYL CORPORATION SUBSIDIARY DISCONTINUES NEGOTIATIONS TO PURCHASE BP CHEMICALS' ADIBIS PETROLEUM ADDITIVES BUSINESS
ETHYL CORPORATION ANNOUNCES THAT ITS SUBSIDIARY, ETHYL PETROLEUM ADDITIVES, INC., WILL PURCHASE AMOCO PETROLEUM ADDITIVES COMPANY
ETHYL CORPORATION ANNOUNCES THAT ITS SUBSIDIARY, ETHYL PETROLEUM ADDITIVES, INC., COMPLETES ACQUISITION OF AMOCO PETROLEUM ADDITIVES CO.
ETHYL CORPORATION ANNOUNCES THAT ITS SUBSIDIARY, ETHYL PETROLEUM ADDITIVES, INC., COMPLETES ACQUISITION OF AMOCO PETROLEUM ADDITIVES CO.
ETHYL BREAKS GROUND ON $70 MILLION PETROLEUM ADDITIVES RESEARCH FACILITIES
ETHYL SIGNS DEAL WITH MITSUBISHI KASEI
TURNER CONSTRUCTION COMPANY AWARDED CONTRACT FOR NEW RESEARCH COMPLEX FOR ETHYL CORPORATION
ETHYL ELECTS HUANG, PERRY VICE PRESIDENTS
ETHYL SIGNS AGREEMENT TO PURCHASE WORLDWIDE LUBRICANT ADDITIVES BUSINESS FROM TEXACO
ETHYL COMPLETES PURCHASE OF TEXACO'S LUBRICANT ADDITIVES

Terms of use | Copyright © 2017 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters