Printer Friendly

EDISON QUAD-CITIES GENERATING UNIT REACHES HISTORIC PLATEAU

C?HICAGO, Aug. 20 /PRNewswire/ -- Commonwealth Edison's Quad-Cities Generating Station Unit 1 has become the nation's first Boiling Water Reactor to generate 100 million megawatthours of electricity. Quad- Cities 1 passed that milestone at 8:30 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 19. The Quad-Cities unit becomes the second BWR in the world to reach 100 million MWh. Japan's Tokai 2 hit that mark in 1992. Meanwhile, Quad-Cities Unit 2 is closing in on 96 million MWh.
 How much is 100 million megawatthours? Enough to meet all the electrical needs of Edison's entire service territory, more than eight million people and hundreds of thousands of businesses across 11,525 square miles, for about one year and three months.
 Quad-Cities 1 and 2 are twin 833-MW units which began generating electricity in 1972. At full power on a typical day, each Quad-Cities Station unit generates enough electricity to serve a city with a population of 800,000.
 Quad-Cities Station, near Cordova, Ill., is operated by Commonwealth Edison, which owns 75 percent of the plant. Iowa-Illinois Gas and Electric Company owns the remaining 25 percent.
 -0- 8/20/93
 /CONTACT: John Hogan of Commonwealth Edison Co., 312-394-5774/
 (CWE)


CO: Commonwealth Edison Co. ST: Illinois IN: UTI SU:

MP -- NY018 -- 4655 08/20/93 10:25 EDT
COPYRIGHT 1993 PR Newswire Association LLC
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 1993 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:PR Newswire
Date:Aug 20, 1993
Words:212
Previous Article:PAINEWEBBER PREMIER INTERMEDIATE TAX-FREE INCOME FUND INC. TRADES ON THE AMERICAN STOCK EXCHANGE
Next Article:FIDELITY SAVINGS BANK ANNOUNCES FORMATION OF HOLDING COMPANY
Topics:

Terms of use | Copyright © 2016 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters