Printer Friendly

EBSCO's 1991-1995 Index Medicus price study released.

The total cost of a one-year subscription to all titles listed in Index Medicus has climbed 51.4 percent over the last five years. According to the fifth edition of the Index Medicus Price Study just released by EBSCO Subscription Services, the 2,547 pre-priced Index Medicus titles cost a total of $919,242.39 in 1995, compared to just over $600,000 for 2,386 titles in 1991.

The 1995 analysis of Index Medicus produced some interesting findings regarding coverage versus cost by subject area and country of origin:

* While basic sciences/research titles represent only 34 percent of total Index Medicus coverage (with clinical/patient care titles representing the remaining 66 percent), the science/research titles represent 45.4 percent of the U.S. dollars required to purchase all Index Medicus titles

* Although titles published in countries defined as the European Economic Area comprise less than half (48.5 percent) of the Index Medicus titles, the titles published in these countries represent 63.6 percent of the total U.S. dollars required to pruchase all titles in the index

The number of pre-priced U.S. titles increased from 932 in 1991 to 1,021 in 1995 and increased 62.3 percent in price

* The number of pre-priced non-U.S. titles increased from 1,467 in 1991 to 1,526 in 1995 and increased 44.5 percent in U.S. dollar equivalents

To request a copy of EBSCO's Index Medicus Price Study, mail, fax or e-mail your request to: Lynn Fortney, Biomedical Division Director, EBSCO Subscription Services, P.O. Box 1943, Birmingham, AL 35201-1943, Fax: 205/995-1518, or e-mail lynnf@ebsco.com.

COPYRIGHT 1995 Information Today, Inc.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 1995 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Information Today
Article Type:Brief Article
Date:Jul 1, 1995
Words:273
Previous Article:West Publishing's PREMISE Publisher; with West's PREMISE, anyone can create an electronic book.
Next Article:Freedom Forum, SLA announce International Library Fellowship.
Topics:

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2020 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters