Duterte decries corruption in small town lottery, Peryahan ng Bayan operations.
Duterte decries corruption in small town lottery, Peryahan ng Bayan operations !-- -- Alexis Romero (Philstar.com) - August 5, 2019 - 9:36pm MANILA, Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte Monday decried the corruption in the operation of small town lottery and Peryahan ng Bayan, saying the people behind the games are benefiting from "stolen" money.
Duterte suspended late last month the gaming operations of the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office because of what he described as "massive" corruption in the agency. Last week, the president ordered the resumption of lotto operations but retained the ban on other games like STL, Peryahan ng Bayan and Keno.
READ:PNP: Over 23,000 lotto, PCSO gaming outlets now closed Duterte said proceeds from STL and Perya ng Bayan that were supposed to be remitted to the government were pocketed by unscrupulous officials. "With regard to lotto, I said 'Okay you can resume with that.
' STL, Peryahan ng Bayan, p i, puro nakaw. Ang iremit nila minus 'yung kinukunan na nila (They involve stolen money.
They steal from the revenues that are supposed to be remitted)," the president said. "So I had to stop it," he added.
READ:Where do PCSO revenues go? Duterte admitted experiencing difficulties in curbing corruption, which he said has permeated government. "Have you ever heard me say that I wanted to resign because I could not run after corruption.
I thought I could, but you know corruption has permitted government itself. I said it's corrupt to the core and it is right now," the president said.
"Mahirap tanggalin lahat (It's hard to get rid of everything)," he added. FACT CHECK:Did Duterte give Atong Ang a PCSO post? Duterte reiterated his plan to fire 100 more officials from the customs bureau, an agency that he claimed is beset with corruption.
"I just fired 64, but if I could get away with the 100 more I think we'll have a cleaner, a better Customs, BIR (Bureau of Internal Revenue). But I'm sure I will fire the 64," he said.
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||Philippines Star (Manila, Philippines)|
|Date:||Aug 5, 2019|
|Previous Article:||Palace says 'end endo' bill will be refiled but with some changes.|
|Next Article:||MOU on joint exploration in West Philippine Sea may be part of Duterte-Xi talks.|