Printer Friendly

Duplex fire damage worth $120,000.

Byline: The Register-Guard

An unattended cigarette caused a fire that did an estimated $120,000 damage to a Cal Young area duplex early Tuesday, and provided two lessons in fire safety, Eugene Fire Department spokesman Glen Potter said.

Smoke detectors alerted the residents to the fire at 1:18 a.m. and all escaped the duplex at 2838 Matt Drive.

The fire was an illustration of two basic rules, Potter said: Don't leave any burning material unattended, and working smoke detectors save lives.

A resident, 28-year-old Serena Depoe, awoke to a smoke detector and found that the couch was on fire.

Firefighters suppressed the fire with minimal damage to the adjoining duplex, occupied by a family of four, Deputy Fire Marshal Jenny Williamson said. Depoe's three children were not at home at the time, she said.

Local Red Cross volunteers assisted the victims.
COPYRIGHT 2006 The Register Guard
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2006, Gale Group. All rights reserved. Gale Group is a Thomson Corporation Company.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:Fires
Publication:The Register-Guard (Eugene, OR)
Date:Aug 23, 2006
Words:143
Previous Article:FOR THE RECORD.
Next Article:Puzzle Fire grows slowly.
Topics:


Related Articles
Goldsmith & Eggleton.
Springfield Aluminum Impacted by Fire.
Wildfires spread across a parched West.
Wildfires declared a catastrophe. (Briefing).
Resident discovers her home ablaze.
BRIEFLY.
Fire destroys Rexius building.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2021 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters |