Printer Friendly

Duo jailed.

Byline: Gareth Lightfoot

Hooded robbers who raided newsagent are locked up

TWO hooded robbers who raided a popular Middlesbrough newsagent have been locked up for a total of almost 10 years.

Christopher Jordan Wood and Ciaron Thomas Wilson invaded the Sewell newsagents on Union Street about 7am on September 6 last year.

Wood, 20, the "leading light" of the crime, was sent to a young offenders' institution for four years and four months.

He walked into the shop holding a wooden walking stick saying: "I want your money."

When 62-year-old proprietor Barry Sewell grabbed the stick, Wood punched him to the face, smashing his glasses.

Mr Sewell defended himself, grappling, punching and pushing his assailant.

As Wood left he held the stick over the shopowner saying, "If you move, I'll bray you."

Despite his more violent role, Wood received the lighter sentence, partly because of an early guilty plea to robbery.

"Lookout man" Wilson, 21, who grabbed the pounds 600 till containing pounds 60 in the struggle, was jailed for five years.

He denied robbery and was convicted by a jury last week.

Judge Roger Scott said the two Middlesbrough men carried out a pre-planned robbery where a weapon, threats, force and disguises were used.

Both men had previous convictions, including for violence, Teesside Crown Court heard yesterday.

Wood, of Daleville Close, also admitted possession of an offensive weapon.

He had a large kitchen knife when the men were arrested from a taxi on Linthorpe Road soon after the robbery. He denied having it in the shop.

Yvonne Taylor, defending, said Wood showed remorse. A chaplain said he was nice, intelligent and thoughtful.

David Lamb, for Wilson, of Ayresome Street, said there was nothing in his past pointing to such a grave crime. Wilson was supported by his mother, who was "devastated" at the conviction, he added.

Mr Sewell suffered severe bruising and swelling from the incident.

He said outside court: "I'd have preferred them to have both got the same. It makes no difference to me that one pleaded guilty.

"It's all right that they're going down for four or five years, but I thought it would have been a bit more.

"I feel a lot better now that it's all finished and done with."
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2007 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:News Local
Publication:Evening Gazette (Middlesbrough, England)
Date:Feb 13, 2007
Previous Article:I've fallen for her smile.
Next Article:Tax rise to be kept low.

Terms of use | Copyright © 2018 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters