Printer Friendly

Dredger crewmen poisoned.

TWO men who died in their bunks on a scallop dredger in Whitby were poisoned by carbon monoxide, initial findings have indicated.

The 26-year-old skipper of the dredger Eshcol and his 21-year-old crewman had lit a butane gas cooker in the wheelhouse to warm the sleeping area.

When they were not seen the following morning, nearby fishermen forced open the cabin.

The room was full of smoke and the men were dead in their beds.

The Marine Accident Investigation Branch (MAIB) who are investigating the incident on January 15, said gas cookers were designed for cooking, not heating and they should be checked regularly.

The skipper was father-of-two Mark Arries and the crewman was Edward Ide, who had a four-month-old son. Both were from Northumberland.
COPYRIGHT 2014 MGN Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2014 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Huddersfield Daily Examiner (Huddersfield, England)
Date:Feb 5, 2014
Words:125
Previous Article:Celebrities' Oxfam push.
Next Article:Cheap booze ban before big finals; Move to curb alcohol violence.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2020 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters