Printer Friendly

Dragons move to hit 'Treviso Two' with fines.

Newport Gwent Dragons have fined Rhodri Gomer Davies and Rhys Thomas for breaking a team curfew following the team's Heineken Cup victory over Italian side Treviso earlier this month. The duo were involved in a fracas outside a nightclub following the match on December 8 and after being detained for two nights by Italian police they were reprimanded and cautioned in an Italian court on December 10.

The Dragons have now issued their own internal punishment, fining the duo a month's wages, two weeks of which is suspended providing they do not breach rules on discipline during the remainder of their contracts.

A statement from the Welsh regional side said: "Following the incident in Treviso when Rhodri Gomer Davies and Rhys Thomas broke a team curfew, the two players have faced a Newport Gwent Dragons disciplinary hearing.

"The pair faced representatives of the Dragons board and admitted they had brought the region into disrepute, having breached the players' code of conduct and standards of conduct expected of the team.

"They reiterated their apologies and sorrow to the people involved, their families, the Dragons team and its supporters. They admit they have learnt a valuable lesson and wish to make amends with the team and its fans.

"The panel fined each player a month's salary, two weeks of which is suspended for the remainder of their contracts, on the basis that they do not further breach regulations.

"This is on top of the costs incurred in Italy.

"It was further agreed, at the behest of the players, that pounds 1,000 of the fine will be given to the Teenage Cancer Trust charity.

"The Dragons management now regard the issue closed and there will be no further comment on this matter."
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2007 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:South Wales Echo (Cardiff, Wales)
Date:Dec 18, 2007
Previous Article:Ryan is ready to boost Wales and the Ospreys with a return to action.
Next Article:Osaer could be out for up to three months after knee surgery.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2022 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters |