Printer Friendly

Don't fall foul of care rules.

PEOPLE in Northumberland who are looking after someone else's child are being urged to contact the authorities to make sure they don't fall foul of new regulations. Anyone who is involved in, or aware of, a privately-arranged care situation involving children is asked to make contact with the county council. The plea has been made to coincide with the British Association for Adoption and Fostering's (BAAF) national campaign Somebody Else's Child, which runs all next week. Yesterday the council's executive member for children's services, Lesley Rickerby, said: "There are many situations where people are doing someone else a favour and letting a child live with them. When this arrangement is for 28 days of more, they have a legal responsibility to inform the council.'' People are considered to be private foster carers if they are looking after, or intending to look after, a child under 16 (18 years if disabled) who is not an immediate relative for 28 days or more. Examples include where a child is living with their boyfriend or girlfriend's family, staying with a cousin because their parents have separated or divorced or staying with a friend and their family after having an argument at home. People are asked to call the council on 0845 6006400 and ask for their local social services office. They can also email
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2010 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:The Journal (Newcastle, England)
Date:Feb 17, 2010
Previous Article:A place to grieve in peace; Willow Room is completed at hospital Helen.
Next Article:Hope waning for 1,600 at troubled Corus plant.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters