Printer Friendly

Dog dies after swimming in lake full of toxic algae; Kendall was left unwell within minutes.

Byline: Neil Shaw

Pet owners are being warned to check water before letting their dogs go for a paddle, swim or drink after a spaniel died while trying to cool off.

King Charles Cavalier Kendall fell ill within minutes of paddling in a lake which was contaminated with toxic blue-green algae.

Speaking to CheshireLive owner Matt Browning, said: "It got a bit hot - we had done it hundreds of times - so we had a little paddle."

Kendall, who is six, was fine on the journey home but after a short while showed symptoms of serious illness.

20 minutes after jumping on the sofa Kendall's head had dropped - and his owner's realised the dog wasn't breathing.

Matt said: "I picked him up and his head went down and he stopped breathing."

They rushed to the vets, but were told it was already too late. Kendall had died. Matt said: "I couldn't let go of him in the car park - I couldn't accept it."

Kendall was also a regular at a nearby pub where he would stay when his owners went on holiday.

Matt said: "There was devastation in the pub when the news was out that he had passed. Everyone was crying. He was a proper little personality and a special little dog."

A toxicology report confirmed that Kendall's death was caused by the presence of toxic blue-green algae in the water.

The Forestry Commission carried out tests on the water and Cheshire Wildlife Trust has since closed the lake for public use .

A spokeswoman for Cheshire Wildlife Trust said: "Following the closure of Hatchmere Lake, we strongly advise that people do not go swimming or allow their dogs in the lake as blue green algae can be extremely hazardous to health.

"We will be monitoring the situation on site and more signage has been put up to inform the public. The reserve however is still open to explore."

You might be interested in...

These are the signs you should look out for if you suspect your dog may have blue-green algae poisoning, according to the Blue Cross website.

If your dog shows any of the following signs after drinking from, or swimming or paddling in water, you should contact your vet immediately:

COPYRIGHT 2019 MGN Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2019 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Get Reading (Reading, England)
Date:Jul 29, 2019
Words:372
Previous Article:Couple's loud outdoor sex outside house is a rude awakening for red-faced resident; Pair's noisy al fresco activities even woke up pet dog.
Next Article:Reading FC end pre-season with Chelsea defeat but it's all systems go for the new Championship campaign; We take a closer look at how Royals fared...

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2022 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters |