Dislodged Boko Haram terrorists on the run.
THE authorities of Operations Lafiya Dole have alerted residents of Kano, Jigawa and Yobe states to watch out for fleeing Boko Haram insurgents who have been dislodged from their bases.
Spokesman of Lafiya Dole, Colonel Onyema Nwachukwu said among those on the run are some senior and junior amirs especially one Bana Bafui, a wanted commander.
Nwachukwu said that troops of Operation Lafiya Dole had continued the onslaught on Boko Haram terrorists' enclaves in the Lake Chad region where a factional leader, Mamman Nur had suffered grave injury, while one of his wives was killed in the battle.
As a result of the heavy onslaught also, about 250 foot soldiers from the Albarnawy camp had surrendered to the authorities due to the devastating artillery and aerial bombardments by troops.
Many of the insurgents who fled the onslaught are now taking advantage of the 'Amnesty' offered by the Federal Government by surrendering to the military.
'Among the insurgents fleeing from the ongoing offensive are senior and junior commanders in the Albarnawy faction who are now attempting to melt into other communities in and around Kano, Geidam and Gashua axis unnoticed.
'One of such fleeing commanders is Bana Bafui. Members of the general public, particularly in Kano, Geidam, Gashua, Hadeja and the northern part of Jigawa are therefore enjoined to be vigilant and watch out for strange faces suddenly appearing in their communities and promptly report same to security agencies,'said Col. Nwachukwu in a statement.
The onslaught, which intensified after the tightening of the curfew to ease movement of more troops into targeted areas, has resulted in over 700 insurgents surrendering to troops in the general area of the 8 Taskforce Division, Monguno.
The Federal Government has since provided a window of opportunity through the 'Operation Safe Corridor' programme to insurgents who surrender willingly in order to be deradicalised and rehabilitated. About 300 insurgents have so far done so.
'We call on all Boko Haram insurgents to abandon the futile struggle and take advantage of the Safe Corridor programme by surrendering willingly to troops in any location nearest to them. We guarantee their safety and incorporation into the programme for deradicalization and rehabilitation,' Nwachukwu stated.
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||Nigerian Tribune (Oyo State, Nigeria)|
|Date:||Jan 7, 2018|
|Previous Article:||2019: APC stuck with Buhari.|
|Next Article:||Herdsmen attacks: CAN declares today Pray for Nigeria.|