Dining in Oman: Pudding in different flavours.
With the mango season in full swing, this pudding makes an elegant and a no fuss dessert that too restaurant style. The humble mango pudding is considered to be one of the most popular desserts in Hong Kong. Light and flaky, flavoured with fresh mangoes, this is a delight in every home. Here is an eggless and gelatin free version of the same.
* 2 cups ripe mango pieces
* 1 cup milk
* 5g agar agar strips, soak in 3/4 cup of water for 10 minutes (china grass)
* 1/4 cup sugar, adjust according to the sweetness of mango
* A pinch of cardamom powder or 2 drops of vanilla essence
* Puree the ripe mango pieces and one fourth of the milk to a smooth puree in a blender. Remove to a bowl and set aside.
* Place the agar agar along with the water on low heat and keep stirring till the agar agar is completely dissolved.
* Bring the milk to a boil, add sugar and cardamom powder or vanilla essence. Simmer on low flame for 3-4 mins. Add the agar agar mixture and keep stirring on low flame for 4 minutes. Turn off heat and allow to slightly cool but should be warm.
* Add the mango puree to the agar agar mixture and mix well.
* Pour the mixture into serving bowls. Allow to set at room temperature and cover with plastic wrap. Place in the fridge for at least 3 to 4 hours.
* At the time of serving, garnish with mango pieces and serve chilled.
COFFEE CHOCOLATE PUDDING
Chocolate and coffee are two ingredients which uplift everyone's mood. The combination of the two is a perfect match made in gastronomical heaven and nothing to beat a pudding made from these two soulmates.
* 2-1/2 cups milk
* 1-1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
* 2 tablespoons corn
* 1/4 cup castor sugar
* 1 tablespoon coffee powder
* 4 tablespoons finely
* 1/2 cup whipped cream
* Fresh cherries
* In a small bowl, mix in 1/2 cup of milk with cocoa powder and cornstarch. Whisk using a hand mixer to avoid lumps. Run this mixture through a strainer and set aside.
* Add milk to a saucepan and bring it to boil. Once the milk starts to boil, reduce the heat and whisk in sugar and coffee powder.
* Stir continuously to avoid scorching the bottom of the sauce pan and cook for 3-4 minutes on low flame. Now add in semi-sweet chocolate along with cocoa and cornstarch mixture from step 1.
* Stir until the chocolate pudding starts to thicken and coat back side of the spoon. Run this mixture through a strainer to avoid lumps and pour it into the desired cups or glasses.
* Chill the chocolate coffee pudding in the refrigerator for at least four hours until set.
* Once set serve the pudding garnished with swirl of whipping cream topped, fresh cherry or you can even garnish with chocolate curls.
EGGLESS CARAMEL BREAD PUDDING
A delectable bread pudding that is baked with a rich layer of caramel sauce. The pudding is flipped like an upside down cake for the caramel sauce to do its magic.
* 8 slices of milk and sweet bread
* 1 and 1/2 cups of milk
* 6 teaspoons sugar
* 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla essence
For the caramel:
* 5 teaspoons sugar
* 3 teaspoons water
* Crumble the bread in wide bowl. Add milk and sugar to it and mash it well.
* Once it is mashed well, add vanilla essence and mix once. Set aside. In a pan, add sugar and water on medium flame, do not stir just swirl continuously for even heating.
* Once the sugar has melted, it will start bubbling then gradually it will brown. Switch off the flame.
* Immediately, transfer to the pudding setting pan (square cake tin). Tilt so that the caramel is coated evenly on all sides. Then transfer the bread milk mixture. Cover with aluminium foil and prick holes here and there for the steam to escape.
* Keep it inside pressure cooker container with water (say 1/2 cup). Close and steam without weight for 15-20 minutes. Once pressure releases, cool down, then refrigerate for 1-2 hours. Run a knife along the sides and invert on a plate and cut into squares.
* Pour caramel/butterscotch sauce while serving and enjoy this easy and delicious dessert with some vanilla ice cream. -firstname.lastname@example.org
[c] Muscat Press and Publishing House SAOC 2016 Provided by SyndiGate Media Inc. ( Syndigate.info ).
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||Times of Oman (Muscat, Oman)|
|Date:||Jul 18, 2016|
|Previous Article:||Armenian Authorities call on hostage takers to lay down arms.|
|Next Article:||Oman crime: Two arrested with drugs in Muttrah.|