Printer Friendly

Dewani on a gay dating site days after wife died; Surfing revealed in court papers.

Byline: SKEKBAR BHATIA in Cape Town

SHRIEN Dewani surfed a gay fetish dating website two days after his bride was shot dead on honeymoon, it was revealed at his trial yesterday.

Records show the Bristol businessman, who is accused of masterminding a plot to kill Anni, used Recon which describes itself as the "world's largest hook-up site for men into fetish gear".

He checked in as "asiansubguy", with sub meaning submissive.

Dewani, 34, who claims to be bisexual, had also signed in to dating site Gaydar twice on November 12 2010 as the couple waited for an internal flight in South Africa - two weeks after their PS200,000 wedding in Mumbai.

Anni, 28, was killed the following night after their taxi was hijacked in a crime-ridden township by two masked men.

His admissions statements to Western Cape high court of facts he is not disputing show he went on to use Gaydar three times between November 15 and November 16 - each session was for nearly an hour.

The latest revelations came after Dewani confirmed he had used male prostitutes.

It was also revealed to the court that Anni's cousin Sneha Hindocha made a secret recording of a meeting between Anni's family and Dewani five weeks after her murder, apparently already suspicious of his possible involvement in her death.

Anni had confessed serious doubts about her relationship with Dewani to Sneha including the spurning of her sexual advances. The documents show he had surfed gay websites for six years.

Earlier, a hitman convicted of murdering Anni told the trial how he was hired by the Dewani's tour guide to carry out the killing. Mziwamadoda Qwabe, who is serving 25 years for murdering Anni, said he received a call out of the blue stating "there's a hw husband who wants his wife killed."

Qwabe, 29, said he and a second assassin were told to hijack a car carrying Dewani and his new bride and make it look like a robbery and ensure he escaped.

He said they agreed a fee of R15,000 (around PS1,300 at the exchange rate at the time) which would be left in 'a cubby hole in the car'.

Describing how an accomplice shot Anni, he said: "I heard a gunshot. I pulled on to the pavement and saw she was on the back seat."

Qwabe said he had released Dewani and taxi driver Zola Tongo, who brokered the deal, unharmed after seizing the car.

The trial continues.


I heard a gunshot. I pulled over and saw her in the back seat MZE QWABE jailed for anni's murder


HUGE WEDDING Dewani and Anni

JAILED Killer Qwabe

BACK IN COURT Dewani arriving yesterday

No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2014 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:The Mirror (London, England)
Date:Oct 9, 2014
Previous Article:Turning point in mission to rebuild trust.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters