Design a superhero challenge.
One Grand-Prize Winner will receive a special multidisc Superman DVD set, which includes Superman Returns, as well as the four original Superman films, and more.
Nine Runners-Up will receive the Superman Returns Special Edition DVD.
1. Draw your superhero on an 8 1/2" by 11" piece of paper.
2. Write a 300- to 500-word essay explaining your creation. You must address the following points:
* Who is your superhero and what is his or her signature superpower?
* How does the superpower work? Explain how it defies-or works with--earth, life, or physical-science principles.
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY
1. To enter, submit a 300- to 500-word essay on creating a superhero; one original piece of artwork or illustration no larger than 8.5" x 11"; and print your name, age, address (including Zip code), telephone number, e-mail address, school name, and teacher's name on a separate piece of paper and mail to: Science World, Scholastic Inc., 557 Broadway, 4th Floor, New York, NY 10012-3999. Attn: Superhero Challenge
2. One entry per person. Entries must be postmarked by November 6, 2006, and received by November 16, 2006. No mechanically reproduced, photocopied, or e-mailed entries permitted. Neither the Sponsor, its affiliates, nor any of its agencies are responsible for illegible, lost, late, damaged, incomplete, postage-due, or misdirected mail or entries. All materials submitted, and rights in winning entries, become the property of Sponsor and will not be returned.
3. Contest open to legal United States residents who are students enrolled in grades 6 through 10 in the 2006 to 2007 school year. Employees and the immediate families of employees of Scholastic Inc., its affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies are ineligible. This contest is void where prohibited or restricted by law, and is subject to federal, state, and local regulations. I Taxes on prizes, if any, are the responsibility of individual winners.
4. Winners will be selected based on overall presentation, creativity, writing skills, and fulfillment of scientific requirements by a panel of judges including Science World editors, whose decisions are final in all matters relating to this contest. Winners will be notified by mail by May 1, 2007. Only one winner per family or household. Winner may not substitute or transfer prizes, but Sponsor reserves the right to substitute prizes with prizes of equal or greater value.
5. Any prize notification or prize returned to the Sponsor or its agencies as undeliverable will result in disqualification and the awarding of that prize to an alternate winner.
6. Each winner and his or her parent/guardian may be required to sign and return an affidavit of eligibility and liability/publicity release within fifteen (15) days of notification attempt or an alternate winner may be selected. Acceptance of prize constitutes permission to use winner's name, biographical information, and/or likeness, and submitted work for purposes of advertising and promotion without further notification or compensation.
7. Prize Details: (a) Grand Prize: A special multidisc Superman DVD set, which includes Superman Returns, as well as the four original Superman films, and more. Estimated retail value: $100. (b) Runners-up prizes: Nine runners-up will each receive a Superman Returns Special Edition DVD. Estimated retail value: $30.
8. By accepting a prize, winner agrees to release and hold Scholastic Inc., its parent, affiliates, subsidiaries, and their respective advertising and promotion agencies harmless from any and all losses, damages, rights, claims, and actions of any kind resulting front participation in this contest and/or acceptance, possession or use of any prize, including without limitation, personal injuries, death, and property damage. By participating in this contest, participants agree to be bound by all the Official Rules of this contest and decisions of Sponsor shall be final and binding with respect to all matters related to this contest. For a list of winners, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to: Science World-contest winners, Scholastic Inc., 557 Broadway 4th Floor, New York, NY 10012-3999 by June 1, 2007.
Sponsor: Scholastic Inc., 557 Broadway, New York, NY 10012
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Date:||Oct 9, 2006|
|Previous Article:||Science news.|
|Next Article:||It's elemental!|