Printer Friendly

Department of Defense releases operational energy strategy for military operations.

For the first time, the Department of Defense (DOD) has published a strategy to transform the way it consumes energy in military operations. The strategy, called "Energy for the Warfighter: Operational Energy Strategy," was prepared by the newly established Assistant Secretary of Defense for Operational Energy, Plans and Programs and was released in May 2011. The mission of this new office is to promote the energy security of military operations through guidance and oversight of DOD activities and investments.

DOD defines operational energy as the resources used in military deployments across the full spectrum of missions, in direct support of military deployments, and in training in support of unit readiness for military deployments. This includes energy used by tactical power systems and generators and weapons platforms. Approximately 75 percent of the energy consumed by DOD in 2009 meets this definition. Fixed installations, mostly facilities and nontactical vehicles, account for the other 25 percent.

The operational energy strategy is intended to "guide the Department of Defense in how to better use energy resources to support the Department's strategic goals and the Nation's energy security goals" while lowering risks to warfighters and saving U.S. taxpayers money.

According to the strategy, the Armed Forces used more than 5 billion gallons of fuel in 2010 for military operations. To create a stronger force, the document sets out three guiding principles to reduce energy dependence and use:

* Reduce the demand for energy in military operations.

* Expand and secure the supply of energy for military operations.

* Build energy security into the future force.

To reduce energy consumption, the services will document actual and projected energy consumption for current and planned military operations and accelerate the adoption of technological and management innovations to reduce demand and increase efficiency. The latter will include applying investments in rapid fielding and mid-life upgrades of platforms, systems, and equipment and long-term development of new capabilities. Priority will also be placed on innovations that can benefit current operations.

To expand and secure operational energy supplies, the services will diversify and develop new energy sources for expeditionary use and ensure that reliable energy supplies are secure for critical operational missions at fixed installations.

To build energy security into the future force, units will report lessons learned from current operations to help with future planning. The services are expected to apply those lessons to future planning, budgeting, and acquisition tasks.

Details on now DUD will execute tins strategy will be published in an upcoming implementation plan.

COPYRIGHT 2012 ALMC
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2012 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:HEADLINES
Publication:Army Sustainment
Date:Jan 1, 2012
Words:413
Previous Article:The completion of the Ordnance School campus.
Next Article:Army Chief of Staff addresses upcoming budgets constraints during AUSA annual meeting.
Topics:

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters