Printer Friendly

Defective tumble dryer caused fatal house blaze.

A DEFECTIVE tumble dryer caused a house fire that killed a mother of two in her bedroom, a coroner has ruled.

Mishell Moloney was discovered dead under a duvet on the bedroom floor by her daughter and sister on February 7 after they smashed their way through a patio door to get in.

The 49-year-old was found to have died after being overcome by carbon monoxide fumes and smoke caused by a small fire in the tumble dryer in the downstairs kitchen.

Birmingham Coroner's Court heard that dryer manufacturer Beko had received reports of 20 previous fires in the same model, but none had the defect thought to have caused the blaze that killed Ms Moloney.

Recording a narrative verdict, Emma Brown, area coroner for Birmingham and Solihull, said: "It's my conclusion Mishell's death was due to smoke inhalation from a fire that was caused by the Beko tumble dryer within her kitchen.

"The source within the tumble dryer was the printed control board (PCB). It's not possible to identify the nature of the defect which caused the fire."

She added: "Mishell was aware of a problem with the tumble dryer before the fire because she turned the machine off. She obviously thought she'd dealt with it and went to bed intending to sort it subsequently."

Ms Moloney, who bought the appliance in October 2012, had been home alone on the night of February 6 and texted family just before midnight.

It was the last time relatives heard from her, and shortly after 4pm the next day they found Ms Moloney's window blinds blackened with soot, and forced their way in.

An investigation at the house in Coriander Close, Rubery, Birmingham, found the fire started in or around the area where the dryer's PCB was.

Beko said the PCB had never been the identified cause of any blazes traced to the 8kg DCS 85W, the model Ms Moloney had.

The company's director of quality Andrew Mullen said: "In virtually all cases it has been the run capacitor - I can't think of any cases that weren't."

Mr Mullen said a decision not to recall the model was taken after a risk assessment and consultation with trading standards.

Mr Mullen said: "This is a very tragic incident but it's an isolated incident which, despite the fact we know on the balance of probabilities it was caused by the tumble driver, we still don't know what caused it."

CAPTION(S):

Mishell Moloney, with daughter Jodie, was killed in a fire caused by a defective tumble dryer

COPYRIGHT 2016 MGN Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2016 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:The Journal (Newcastle, England)
Geographic Code:4EUUK
Date:Aug 9, 2016
Words:423
Previous Article:TIME OUT EXTRA.
Next Article:Gervais: I'll have to kill Brent soon.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters