Debts drove 'brilliant dad' to fatal overdose.
A "BRILLIANT, hands-on" dad-oftwo took an overdose of medication after struggling with "substantial" debts.
Nigel Mears, 34, was found dead in his car by a park ranger at Cefn Onn Park in Lisvane, Cardiff, on June 22 this year.
Police officers also discovered numerous empty packets of medication as well as debt recovery letters addressed to him in the car. An inquest into his death at Pontypridd Coroners' Court on Wednesday heard Mr Mears had sent messages to his wife Laura Mears saying: "Make sure the children know how much I love them" and "it is too late".
In a statement read out at the inquest, Mrs Mears said she had been married to Mr Mears for 10 years and he had been a "brilliant, hands-on father" to their two children, aged four and six.
She said Mr Mears, from Close Hendre, Rhiwbina, had suffered from headaches and migraines for which he had been prescribed amitriptyline and codeine. He had subsequently developed an addiction to codeine and had admitted purchasing the medication online.
She reported Mr Mears missing on June 22 after he failed to return home from work as a contact centre manager for Opus Energy the previous evening.
Senior Coroner for South Wales Central Andrew Barkley accepted the cause of death as amitriptyline overdose.
Summing up, he said: "It appears a very talented and hardworking man fell into the grip of an addiction with opiate medication. It seems that he was unable to successfully rid himself of that and fell into substantial debt."
Mr Barkley recorded a conclusion of suicide.