Printer Friendly

Death cap mushrooms suspected after fatality; NATURE.

One woman died yesterday and another is ill after possibly eating poisonous death cap mushrooms, police said.

The woman in her 40s was pronounced dead at an address in Carisbrooke High Street, Newport on the Isle of Wight at 7.12am.

A few minutes later, police were called to a second address in Newport where a woman in her 20s had been taken ill.

She was taken to hospital and her condition is described as stable and conscious.

The second woman told police she visited the Ventnor Botanic Garden on the island with her husband on September 14 and picked a number of wild mushrooms.

These mushrooms were eaten by both women some time on Monday. Police have not confirmed the mushrooms were the cause of the death but are concerned there is a link.
COPYRIGHT 2008 Birmingham Post & Mail Ltd
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2008 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:The Birmingham Post (England)
Date:Sep 18, 2008
Words:135
Previous Article:Disabled speed record driver left in serious condition; CRASH.
Next Article:Talks reopen over World Cup stadium for Birmingham.
Topics:


Related Articles
Identifying the fungus among us.
The fungus among us: exploring the mighty mushroom for food, medicine and insight. (Eating Right).
The magic of mushrooms. (Expat Advice).
Dividends of marketing.
KILLED BY A MEAL; MUSHROOMS.
The value of research: achieving super food status.
Deadly mushroom toxin identified: synthetic muscle-destroying compound also found in nature.
On the trail of wild mushrooms.
Mushrooms, a shining star in Times Square, New York City.
Mushrooms: the superfood.

Terms of use | Copyright © 2018 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters