Printer Friendly

Dear Tricia.

Byline: Tricia Phillips

Q MY parents set up a savings account in the early 90s but unfortunately I don't know which bank it was with. Is there anywhere I can get help to find this account?

A TRY, a free service from the British Bankers' Association, Building Societies Association and National Savings and Investments.

It helps people to trace old bank accounts. You'll need to fill in a form with as much detail as you can.

Q DOES everyone have to pay care fees? I live on my pension but I do own my house.

A ANYONE with assets over pounds 23,000 (that includes a property) will have to pay for their own care. However, property will be excluded if a spouse or a relative aged over 60 lives there.

Q YOU mentioned last week about changing ownership of a home from joint tenants to tenants in common. How much does this cost?

A TO do this yourself you'll will need to complete an SEV form, which you can download from the Land Registry website at It costs nothing to do this.

However, if you get professional help then your adviser may charge you for their time.

Q I WANT to make a gift to my daughter of a large amount of money. I know that if I survive for seven years there will be no Inheritance Tax to pay, but is there any way the IHT can be avoided if I died sooner?

A SUBJECT to your state of health, you could take out a certain type of decreasing term assurance to cover the amount of tax over the seven year liability. These policies are sometimes called "Gift Inter-Vivos" plans.

THANKS to our independent financial advisers - PMI's John Stewart (0800 018 3751) and Honister Partners (0800 544 644). For independent advice send an SAE to Your Money Independent Advice Bureau, Daily Mirror, 1 Canada Square, Canary Wharf, London E14 5AP.

Please give your age, income, family circumstances and details of the financial products you want advice on, along with your phone number. Or email marked "advice".
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2010 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:Features
Publication:The Mirror (London, England)
Date:May 19, 2010
Previous Article:Your BUDGET BLUES; What the ConDem Government will mean for your finances.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2021 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters