Printer Friendly

De Menezes jurors visit Stockwell station.

Byline: By Chris Greenwood

Jurors yesterday revisited the scene where Jean Charles de Menezes was shot dead by police marksmen.

The second day of the long-awaited inquest into his death saw the court visit Stockwell Tube station.

The court took just six minutes to travel less than a mile in a coach convoy from the Oval.

Four police motorcycle outriders stopped traffic as a television helicopter hovered.

The six women and five men of the jury did not travel through the ticket barriers like Mr de Menezes on July 22, 2005. They were led through a side entrance to avoid a large crowd of media and onlookers.

Dozens of Metropolitan Police and British Transport Police officers closed the Tube station as the party arrived for a 10-minute visit.

Leading a large group of legal advisers and court officials, jurors travelled through the ticket hall, down an escalator and on to platform 2.

It was here Mr de Menezes boarded a waiting Northern line train before being shot by police who mistook him for a suicide bomber.

The jurors, dressed in casual clothes and carrying court papers, stood in silence for 30 seconds on the empty platform. A half-full train travelled slowly past without stopping as Coroner Sir Michael Wright spoke quietly with staff.

One court official highlighted three points of interest: the ticket hall, the area at the bottom of the escalator and the platform.

Several members of the de Menezes family, including cousins Patricia da Silva Armani and Alex Pereira, watched closely.

Asingle protester among dozens of bystanders shouted "black power" as the party was led away through the side door.

A shrine to Mr de Menezes, including pictures, Iowers and newspaper coverage of the shooting, still stands at the front of the station.

The three-coach jury convoy, under police escort, was then driven away to examine other key locations.

The convoy continued on a tour of other locations involved in the police operation that led to Mr de Menezes's death.

The Jrst stop was an anonymous police building in Leman Street, east London.

It would appear CO19 firearms officers reported for duty at 7am on July 22.

The three coaches then visited New Scotland Yard, Nightingale Lane Police Station and a Territorial Army base near Mr de Menezes' home.

At Scotia Road, where Mr de Menezes lived in Iat number 17, the inquest group left the vehicles for a closer inspection.

Police ofJcers cordoned off the cul-de-sac where the modern three-storey red and yellow brick block stands.

Members of Mr de Menezes's family pointed to the second Ioor windows where he lived as they stood with barrister Michael MansJeld.

The jurors stood in silence for several minutes a short distance from the main group of legal representatives.


Michael Mansfield QC (left) walks with Patricia da Silva Armani (second left), as the jury for the inquest into the death of her cousin Jean Charles de Menezes, are shown the last movements of the Brazilian national's life at Stockwell Tube Station (below)
COPYRIGHT 2008 Birmingham Post & Mail Ltd
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2008 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:The Birmingham Post (England)
Date:Sep 24, 2008
Previous Article:Soy could help stroke victims.
Next Article:Deadline looming for PA award.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters