Printer Friendly

Dave blocks out Dromard hopes as Field make it third time lucky; Leinster SF quarter-final.


Moorefield 0-13

Dromard 0-7

CHAMPIONS Moorefield finally shook of the challenge of Dromard to emerge with an ultimately comfortable looking victory in yesterday's frenetic second AIB club Leinster SFC quarter-final second replay in Newbridge.

The final margin may have been slightly unflattering to the Longford men, who trailed by just two points with eight minutes remaining when Moorefield' Dave Barry stretched full length to block an effort for goal from Peter Masterson.

While it looked like a Moorefield defender handled the ball on the ground in the subsequent scramble, referee David Coldrick awarded a free out and within seconds, man of the match Michael 'Frosty' Treacy had the ball over the bar at the other end.

The Moores showed just why they won last year's Leinster title by adding three more points in the next eight minutes (which including four of added time), courtesy of a brace from the very influential Jason Phillips and Ciaran Kelly's third score of the game.

In truth, the winners held the upper hand throughout but they have never been ones for killing teams off.

They were full value for their 0-7 to 0-4 interval advantage, having opened up that three-point buffer by the end of the first quarter, Patrick Murray getting things under way with a nonchalant effort in the opening minute.

Treacy added two good scores as well but at the other end of the field, James Martin and particularly Francis McGee were struggling to impose themselves.

Mar tin did provide three of Dromard's four first-half scores, with two of them from frees, but one sensed they were just hanging on.

Moorefield were four ahead when Phillips flicked onto the crossbar and Damien Sheridan spread himself well to save Murray's rebound.

Within 10 minutes, two frees - the second a wonderful effort by McGee from 45m - had halved the deficit, but Barry's block, Coldrick's decision and Moorefield's superior finishing were decisive in the end.

Tempers frayed towards the end and there was one ugly outbreak of hostilities that saw substitutes from both teams invading the pitch.

Nobody was injured however and Coldrick was unable to take any action, having been at the other side of the field when the fighting began.

In the end though, it was Moorefield who were the deserving victors and they will now face a well rested Tyrrellspass in the semi-final.

MOOREFIELD: M Treacy (0-4); C Kelly (0-3), P Murray (0-2, 1f), J Phillips (0-2), R Sweeney (1f), D Whyte (0-1)

DROMARD: J Martin (0-4, 3f); F McGee (0-2 f); E McEntire (0-1).


HEROIC: Dave Barry blocks Peter Masterson's shot; PITCH BATTLE: Moorefield's Kevin Murnaghan holds off Donal Sheridan
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2007 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:Sport
Publication:The Mirror (London, England)
Date:Nov 26, 2007
Previous Article:Rugby Union: SLAIN; KIDNEY'S MEN GO THIRD IN MAGNERS LEAGUE TABLE Dragons feel power of Munster as they get ready for clash with rivals Leinster.
Next Article:RANGERS SEND OUT WARNING; AIB Ulster Senior Football Club Final, Newry Superb Cross back to their best.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2018 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters