Printer Friendly

Dad's plug warning; socket cover 'myth'.

Byline: KELLEY PRICE kelley.price@trinitymirror.com @kelleyprice_gaz

IT'S an item that's still up there with stairgates and cupboard catches, when it comes to keeping your little ones safe.

But one dad-of-five's warning about using electric socket covers has gone viral.

Electrician Steve Palmer says parents are putting their kids' lives at risk by using the push-in protectors because children can actually use them as a tool to activate the plug socket with.

His video telling people never to use the plug-in protectors, and showing his own kids demonstrating the dangers, was shared 25,000 times in a week.

As reported in the Manchester Evening News (MEN), Steve said: "When kids mess with them, as my son demonstrates, they can easily be put in upside down with just the one plastic bit inside the top hole.

It's also babies being their fingers the too far Steve "It only needs that top pin to be pushed in for the bottom conductors to be exposed and that's where the danger comes in.

"The information about not using them is already out there but people don't seem to be getting the message.

"I've also spoken to people who have told me that the use of them is still being recommended, by Ofsted for example when they're looking at childcare settings.

"You wouldn't provide your child with a screwdriver to play with around your home so stop inserting a tool into your sockets that could potentially be the cause of serious harm or even the death of your child. They are far more intelligent and able than we give them credit for."

Steve said there is an added danger from people using plastic covers with pins that are too big for the sockets, which can lead to overheating when the plug is put back in.

And he said it's also not true about little fingers reaching the parts inside a socket.

He added: "It's also a myth of babies being able to put their fingers in because the conductors are too far back. They just wouldn't be able to reach."

Standard 13-amp power sockets made to BS 1363 incorporate a shutter mechanism, which prevents inappropriate access to the live connectors according to RoSPA - The Royal Society For the Prevention of Accidents.

a myth of able to put in because conductors are back The charity says it doesn't 'consider it necessary' to recommend the use of socket covers.

Palmer Last year a safety alert was issued by the Department of Health highlighting the dangers of using them and calling for their removal from health and social care settings.

Ofsted has no official position on the use of socket covers and does not refer to them in guidance for inspectors.

An Ofsted spokesperson told the MEN: "It is for providers to identify and manage all risks in line with Early Years Foundation Stage requirements.

"Ofsted does not prescribe any particular method of managing risks, such as those arising from electrical sockets."

and showing his the dangers, 25,000 times the as the inside top pin the bottom exposed and that's reach." Standard 13-made to BS a shutter which the - For of covers. Last year a issued by th"It's also a myth of babies being able to put their fingers in because the conductors are too far back. Steve Palmer

CAPTION(S):

Steve Palmer

COPYRIGHT 2017 MGN Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2017 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Evening Gazette (Middlesbrough, England)
Date:Nov 24, 2017
Words:559
Previous Article:ALSO SHOWING.
Next Article:Crossing protest and underground terror; years ago 30 SCHOOL crossing fears, an escape from a London train station inferno and Boro prepared to repel...

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters