Printer Friendly

DYING IN HIS MUM'S ARMS; Doctors sent Lewis home 3 times.

Byline: STEPHEN WHITE

A TODDLER who died after getting chickenpox was sent home three times by doctors.

Lewis Mullins' mum insisted he was seriously ill but was only given an anti-viral drug and painkillers. The boy later succumbed to pneumonia.

Jodie Conlay, 28, broke down in tears as she told the hearing: "I just wished they had listened to me."

Miss Conlay said Lewis, one, got chickenpox after sister Lacey, four, and blisters appeared on his face. He was given anti-viral drugs at an NHS centre in Rotherham, South Yorks, but a worse rash appeared.

He was then taken to Rotherham Hospital twice but was only given painkillers. He was found unconscious at home in Maltby and was later pronounced dead in hospital.

Pathologist Dr Mudher Al-Adnani said Lewis had contracted Group A streptococcus bacteria. Chickenpox made him vulnerable and caused pneumonia to develop.

Paediatrician Dr Kate Ward, who reviewed the case, said antibiotics for the infection would probably have saved him. The hearing continues.

CAPTION(S):

TRAGEDY J Lewis Mullins CONCERN Z Jodie holding poorly Lewis
COPYRIGHT 2012 MGN LTD
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2012 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:The Mirror (London, England)
Date:May 4, 2012
Words:177
Previous Article:WHEAT 'N' SOUR; Chinese buy Brit brekkie Weetabix in pounds 1.2bn deal.
Next Article:pounds 1,000-A-DAY FOR PENSION CUTTER LORD; Union anger at Hutton's new role.
Topics:

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters