Printer Friendly

DTCB has potential for growth.

Diamond Trading Company Botswana (DTCB) managing director, Mr Tabake Kobedi says the company has the potential to take on more business and provide sorting and valuing services to other mines besides Debswana Diamond Company's rough diamond production.

Updating the media on DTCB's business so far, Mr Kobedi said the facility was already there, and that the arrangement so far only provides the sorting and valuing of diamonds to Debswana.

He said they have an opportunity to take on more business from other mines such as Lucara and Gem Diamonds.

'The diamonds that we sort and value then go to two of our customers being Okavango Diamond Company (ODC) and De Beers.

De Beers takes 85 per cent and ODC takes the remaining 15 per cent,' he said.

Mr Kobedi said initially when DTCB was set up, it used to go through 33 million carats per annum of diamonds, and that currently the figure stood at 22 million carats per annum.

He further noted that DTCB was the world's largest and most sophisticated rough diamond sorting and valuing operation with the capacity to sort 45 million carats a year; hence aspirations of growth were not misguided.

Mr Kobedi further gave an example with India, saying the majority of the world's diamonds were cut and polished in that country even though they did not mine the mineral themselves.

'Why can't we aspire to do the same thing as a country, moreso that we have an advantage of the resource in our backyard,' he said.

He said DTCB boasts of extraordinary skills and that the skills could exist way beyond diamonds and that as a country and through DTCB, 'we need to take full advantage of the situation.'

Speaking on the company's 2020 strategy, Mr Kobedi said DTCB's desire to improve its performance and delivery to customers necessitated a review of its strategy.

He noted that some of the key objectives of strategy 2020 was to improve DTCB's efficiencies and effectiveness as a rough diamond sorting and valuing operation.

'We also want to create a flexible and agile organisation capable to respond to market needs and transform DTCB into an operationally excellent processing organisation,' he said, adding they also want to position DTCB to have the capacity to take on more work for other customers.

Highlighting some of the things they would have achieved by 2020, Mr Kobedi said some of them include recognition of DTCB as a world class processing organisation, reliable, reputable and consistent delivery to customers, reduce business risk, increase cost efficiency, capable, motivated workforce with high productivity levels and optimised capacity to enable new opportunities.

DTC Botswana aims to facilitate, drive and support the creation of a vibrant, sustainable and profitable downstream diamond industry in Botswana through superior sorting and valuing practices.

The media also got the opportunity to tour the newly commissioned Diamond Cleaning Plant and were also taken through how it works and the company's safety processes and procedures.

COPYRIGHT 2018 Asianet-Pakistan
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2018 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Botswana Daily News (Gaborone, Botswana)
Geographic Code:6BOTS
Date:Feb 8, 2018
Previous Article:Maphakela ventures into multimedia.
Next Article:Rollers, Galaxy in continental battles.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters