Printer Friendly


WITH negotiations continuing over the United Kingdom's exit of the European Union, and uncertainty surrounding the terms of the Brexit deal, the Insurance Industry has begun to provide advice for motor travel in the EU in the event of the UK leaving the EU with no deal.

In the event of no deal, guidance from the Association of British Insurers (ABI) and Motor Insurance Bureau (MIB) is that drivers should have a Green Card when driving abroad after midnight on the March 29 - green cards would be required under EU regulations as proof of insurance.

WHY IS A GREEN CARD NEEDED? A Green Card is an international certificate of insurance which provides proof that the motorist has the necessary third party insurance cover and that the motorist is, therefore, suitably insured to drive in the countries specified on the card. A physical copy of a Green Card is needed when travelling as digital copies are not currently accepted. If motorists arrive at the border without a physical Green Card, they will not be allowed to drive in that country.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO YOU? At present, your motor insurance policy allows you to drive within the European Union, and this cover will not change - the only change being in the type of evidence of cover required.

If a fleet vehicle is being taken outside of the UK and it is planned to return before March 29 then travel can be as normal and no Green Card will be required.

However, a Green Card will need to be obtained in advance in the following situations:-| If a fleet vehicle is already outside of the UK and it is not planned to return before March 29; | If a fleet vehicle is due to be taken outside of the UK prior to March 29 and not due to return before March 29; | If a fleet vehicle is due to be taken outside of the UK in April 2019 THE ISSUING OF GREEN CARDS The process of issuing Green Cards for driving within the EU is currently being implemented by various insurers. We would advise that, until more certainty is provided about any formal withdrawal agreement, you should contact us at least a month before travel, if any of the above situations apply to any intended journey abroad, to ensure that your insurers will have sufficient time to issue a Green Card.

WE WOULD ALSO NOTE THE FOLLOWING: 1. Green cards are issued on a vehicle specific basis - so each vehicle travelling abroad will require its own Green Card.

2. Each country that will be visited must be specified on the green card - eg if you are driving to Germany the green card must specify each country you will be driving through - you will not be able to drive in any country that is not noted on the green card. 3. Green cards are issued for varying amounts of time depending on insurers - some will issue a standard 14 day card, or for the length of the trip and some insurers can issue annual green cards - it will depend upon your requirements 4. Most insurers are currently offering to issue green cards free of charge, but there are some insurers who have indicated that they will be charging for the service.

The above will also apply to any private motor insurances.

No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2019 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Huddersfield Daily Examiner (Huddersfield, England)
Geographic Code:4EUUK
Date:Feb 14, 2019
Previous Article:Home is where the heart is for badminton star.
Next Article:CityFibre signs up for the Chamber's patronage scheme.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2020 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters