DING-A-LING DING DONG; Berry let down Scots fans after 'diva' antics.
SULKY singer Chuck Berry left 1500 Scots concert-goers in the lurch after rows over a chauffeur-driven limo and the size of his dressing room.
The 78-year-old rock'n'roll legend stormed out of Glasgow's Royal Concert Hall on Tuesday night.
And gig organisers said yesterday that Berry, who wrote My Ding-A-Ling, threw a series of tantrums before his final strop.
An insider at promoters CPL said: 'Basically he's just a cantankerous old man who didn't want to be there.'
A Concert Hall source added: 'He had been acting like a total diva - the kind of stuff you hear about from J-Lo or Mariah Carey.'
CPL are considering suing Berry.
The rows started after they agreed to Berry's demand to be met by an S-class Mercedes at Glasgow Airport.
The CPL source said: 'When he arrived, the car was there to meet him with a driver.
'But he wanted to drive himself, and we couldn't get him insured because of his age.
'We eventually got two cars - one for him and one for his entourage.'
Berry was then driven to the plush Arthouse hotel on Bath Street and given the finest room on offer. It didn't improve his mood.
Our insider revealed: 'He got the best suite and was still finding little things to complain about.'
Berry's face turned even more sour when he arrived at the Concert Hall and was shown to his luxurious dressing room, complete with grand piano.
'He knocked it back and said he wanted the support act's smaller dressing room,' said the CPL source.
'We changed everything around at the last minute for him and he still claimed we weren't doing what he had asked.
'We did all we could, but, to be honest, it looked like he never had any intention of going on.'
Berry stumped out of the Concert Hall at 9.30pm and went back to his hotel. CPL say they had no choice but to cancel the show
A Concert Hall source said: 'The fans were getting very restless and the decision was taken that they had waited long enough.'
Bizarrely, Berry returned to the hall half an hour later, said he was ready to play, and demanded to know where the audience had gone.
A Concert Hall spokesman promised full refunds for the fans.
He said: 'The promoters wish to apologise for the inconvenience caused.
'Unfortunately, the circumstances surrounding Mr Berry's non-appearance have been completely out with our control.
'We feel as deeply disappointed and let down as all the fans who came here for the performance. The matter is now under investigation by our legal team
CHEEK BERRY: Organisers of the gig blamed the star for snubbing his fed-up fans, left
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||Daily Record (Glasgow, Scotland)|
|Date:||Jul 7, 2005|
|Previous Article:||Love child admission by prince.|
|Next Article:||I'm crawl right now; The stunning star of Scotland's scariest new movie,Shauna Macdonald, reveals her terror when she was faced with the monsters for...|