Printer Friendly

DETROIT CITY COUNCIL ADOPTS RESOLUTION HONORING 15TH ANNIVERSARY OF OPERATION CAN DO

 WARREN, Mich., Nov. 16 /PRNewswire/ -- On Wednesday, Nov. 17 at 11:30 a.m., Detroit City Council president Maryann Mahaffey will present a special resolution adopted by the Detroit City Council to Operation Can Do Chairman Gabriel Kassab in recognition of the 15th anniversary of Operation Can Do, the area's oldest and largest food drive.
 In the past 14 years, Operation Can Do, sponsored by Elias Brothers Restaurants, Inc., WXYZ-TV/Channel 7, Detroit Area and Clinton Valley Councils of the Boy Scouts of America, the Hunger Action Coalition and the major support of Farmer Jack Supermarkets, collected over 210 tons of food last year alone.
 Members of the Detroit City Council, including President Mahaffey, adopted the resolution to honor the efforts of Operation Can Do and its long-standing work in the community in the fight against hunger.
 "Operation Can Do has been successful due to the concern and generosity of thousands of caring individuals right here in the community," said Kassab, executive vice president of Elias Brothers Restaurants, Inc., and chairman of Operation Can Do.
 "Our goal this year is to collect enough canned goods to feed over 1 million people. It is an important goal, and we will do our best to reach it."
 "The 1993 Can Do effort officially begins on Saturday, Nov. 20, when local Boy Scouts begin their "Scouting for Food" campaign in local neighborhoods, returning to pick up the filled Can Do bags left at doorsteps the previous weekend. Nov. 20 also marks the date when the public may begin dropping off their canned food donations at any southeastern Michigan Big Boy restaurant through Dec. 31.
 "Working together, we can alleviate the problem of hunger in our community," said Tom Griesdorn, vice president and general manager of WXYZ-TV and chairman of Operation Can Do.
 The food collected from Operation Can Do is distributed by the Hunger Action Coalition to over 300 agencies, soup kitchens and shelters. Operation Can Do began in 1978, and continues each year to escalate the tonnage of food collected in its fight against hunger.
 In the past 14 years, over 2,614,000 pounds of food have been donated by the community to Operation Can Do.
 -0- 11/16/93
 /NOTE TO EDITORS: Great visuals are available of Boy Scouts bringing in food collected on Saturday, Nov. 20. The collected food will be brought to 21 area Big Boy restaurants and loaded onto semis. Three locations are:
 -- Wayne County: 10 a.m.-noon. Big Boy Restaurant, 3366 Biddle (and Eureka roads, Wyandotte), 313-285-8400.
 -- Oakland County: 10 a.m.-noon. Big Boy Restaurant, 29700 Southfield Road (at 12 1/2 Mile Road in the Southfield Plaza Shopping Center, Southfield), 313-559-1560.
 -- Macomb County: 10 a.m.-noon. Big Boy Restaurant, 23815 Jefferson, St. Clair Shores, 313-779-6611./
 /CONTACT: Nikki Grandberry or Cara Belton, 313-362-4242, both of Simons Michelson Zieve, for Elias Brothers Restaurants./ CO: Elias Brothers Restaurants, Inc.; Detroit City Council ST: Michigan IN: SU:


KE-KR -- DE017 -- 5017 11/16/93 11:11 EST
COPYRIGHT 1993 PR Newswire Association LLC
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 1993 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:PR Newswire
Date:Nov 16, 1993
Words:500
Previous Article:CAR BUYERS PREFER TV, NEWSPAPER ADS, PRICING INFORMATION FROM DEALERS, ACCORDING TO NATIONAL SURVEY BY THE DOHRING COMPANY, INC.
Next Article:FLAT GLASS INDUSTRY ENDORSES NAFTA COMPROMISE
Topics:

Terms of use | Copyright © 2017 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters