Created to support emerging artists in dance, theater and film, the Princess Grace Foundation-USA is known for having a knack for picking out future stars in the dance world when selecting its grant recipients. As PGF-USA turns 35, we looked back at some of the dancers and choreographers whose careers it's helped support--and who have appeared in these pages.
* 219 dancers and choreographers have received Princess Grace Awards. 20 have gone on to receive the Princess Grace Statue Award, which is granted to previous PGA recipients who have since gained distinction in their chosen field.
* In the last year alone, 5 PGA winners have appeared on a DM cover: Jacqueline Green (Dec. 2016), Isabella Boylston (Feb. 2017), David Hallberg (June 2017), Michelle Dorrance (July 2017) and Tamisha Guy (Aug. 2017).
* 40% of PGA winners have gone on to become principal dancers or to found their own companies.
* 25 of DM's past "25 to Watch" picks have been PGA winners.
* 9 Statue Award recipients have been DM cover stars--Gillian Murphy, Ethan Stiefel and David Hallberg have appeared multiple times.
* Since PGF-USA began granting awards to dancers and choreographers in 1984, 3 recipients have gone on to receive Dance Magazine Awards: Tiler Peck, Ethan Stiefel and Terese Capucilli.
This year's winners will be announced this month.
Caption: David Hallberg and Gillian Murphy
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Title Annotation:||news: THE LATEST; Princess Grace Foundation-USA|
|Article Type:||Brief article|
|Date:||Aug 1, 2017|
|Previous Article:||New building, new direction: Ballet Memphis wants its new home to make connections.|
|Next Article:||Gemma Bond: the ABT corps member's choreographic career is blossoming.|