Lawmakers called for an explanation as to why the work of art had been abandoned, Agence France-Presse reported.
The cross was to be installed in a still-to-be constructed church in Tor Vergata, where Pope John Paul II celebrated Mass before an estimated 2 million in 2000, Msgr. Claudio Giuliodori told AFE But "after the Jubilee, everything was dismantled," he said, and the public works department was put in charge of the construction.
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Title Annotation:||signs of the times; Italian TV station reports 2-ton, 20-foot bronze cross used in church's Jubilee celebration found in dump|
|Author:||Gary, Heather Grennan|
|Article Type:||Brief Article|
|Date:||Jan 1, 2004|
|Next Article:||Bullish Catholic values.|