Printer Friendly

Critical habitat for the Mexican spotted owl (Strix occidentalis lucida).

Critical Habitat for the Mexican Spotted Owl (Strix occidentalis lucida) A July 21 proposal would designate nearly 13.5 million acres (5.5 million ha) in Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, and Utah as critical habitat for a threatened bird, the Mexican spotted owl. Approximately 90 percent of the proposed acreage is federally managed land and the other 10 percent is comprised of Tribal land. No private or state lands were included in the proposal. Within these broad boundaries, however, we will require ESA consultation only in those areas that contain suitable habitat for the owl; towns and other developed areas would not be considered critical habitat.
COPYRIGHT 2001 University of Michigan, School of Natural Resources
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2001 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Endangered Species Update
Date:Nov 1, 2001
Words:106
Previous Article:Critical habitat for piping plovers (Charadrius melodus).
Next Article:Short-tailed albatross (Phoebastria albatrus).


Related Articles
Stakeholders Assist Species Recovery in the Southwest.
Forest land HCPs: a case study.
Multi-species HCPs: experiments with the ecosystem approach.
Detecting West Nile virus in owls and raptors by an antigen-capture assay.
Night owl: how barn owls on the prowl use sound, light, and silent flight to snag their prey.
Fact or fiction: CITES and the ESA.
Managing habitat for owls at Fort Huachuca.
Defense's TES document repository.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters