Craig Schiffer, Partner, Sevara Partners, Keynote Speaker at Golden Networking's Derivatives Leaders Forum 2010.
Over-the-counter (OTC) derivatives are traded and privately negotiated without going through an exchange or other intermediary, with its privacy attracting hedgers and investors seeking higher returns. Now in anticipation of proposed rules to move some the $615 trillion derivatives market to exchange-based trading, brokers and other platforms have been bringing the change themselves. ICAP Energy, a unit of the biggest interdealer energy swaps broker, ICAP PLC, announced last month it would start delivering OTC oil prices on a new electronic trading platform. How these changes in the regulatory environment will reshape the industry? How are traders already easing into the reforms that could potentially crimp their profits? Are banks still taking a wait-and-see approach? Which proactive steps could they take before the new legislation is enacted?
Mr. Schiffer has spent over 30 years in the investment banking business, in Europe, the United States and Asia, consistently building, fixing and restructuring businesses as well as leading them to strategic, structural and financial success. He was most recently Chief Executive Officer of the Americas at Dresdner Kleinwort, based in New York, having joined in London in 2001 as a Managing Director and Executive Committee member in the Global Debt business. Shortly after, he moved to the New York office to be Head of Capital Markets, North America, becoming Chief Executive in early 2003. Under his tenure, he successfully restructured the New York and Latin American businesses from a U.S. $300 million loss in 2002 to a net operating profit of almost U.S. $300 million (on a U.S. $600 million revenue base in 2006). Mr. Schiffer oversaw both the continuing businesses at Dresdner Kleinwort and the Institutional Restructuring Unit, Dresdner's $9 billion "bad bank" in North America.
Prior to Dresdner Kleinwort, Mr. Schiffer headed Nomura International's European Fixed Income Division, overseeing all of the capital markets and derivative businesses. At Nomura, he led the business to bottom line profitability for the first time ever in fiscal year 1999-2000. Mr. Schiffer joined Nomura in August 1997 where he was originally responsible for restructuring Nomura's U.S. derivatives business, implementing robust risk management and achieving operating profitability. He then took on additional responsibility for Nomura's proprietary businesses in Europe, which grew considerably under his tenure. He was a member of the European Management Board at Nomura International, responsible for strategy and the daily operations of the European businesses.
Prior to Nomura, Mr. Schiffer spent eighteen and a half years at Lehman Brothers. He served in a variety of management roles in both Fixed Income and Equities. As the Global Head of Equity Derivatives at Lehman Brothers, Mr. Schiffer oversaw operations and concentrated on building the business. Before assuming his role as Global Head of Equity Derivatives in October 1994, Mr. Schiffer was the Global Head of Fixed Income Derivatives at Lehman Brothers (1992-1994). In that role, he restructured and took the fixed income derivatives business from a marginal revenue producer and transformed it into one of the most profitable businesses at Lehman Brothers. Mr. Schiffer held a number of other senior management roles in the fixed income business at Lehman including Global Head of Fixed Income Derivative Marketing (1991-1992), Head of High Yield Sales (1990-1991), Co-Head of Fixed Income Trading and Sales in London (1989-1990), Branch Sales Manager for the Money Markets, Governments and Mortgage businesses in San Francisco (1988, the top producing domestic branch office), and Head of the Money Market, Government and Mortgage businesses in London (1985-1987). Mr. Schiffer was Money Market Sales Manager in New York from 1983 to 1984. During this time, he was instrumental in developing and marketing the Money Market Preferred Stock product, a Lehman innovation. He began his career at Lehman in 1978 with the Money Market Sales group. Mr. Schiffer was also an initial member of the Lehman Brothers Finance Committee and Lehman's representative to the Board of EJV, a street consortium to build an electronic trading system.
Mr. Schiffer served as a Director of the Board, At-Large, of the Bond Market Association and as a member of the Financial Services Industry Roundtable. He is currently on the Board of Trustees of Kent Place School in New Jersey and Chairman of the Board of Saxlingham European Fund. Mr. Schiffer is married with five children and lives in New Jersey. He holds a B.A. with dual honors from the University of California at Santa Cruz, where he serves as a member of the University's Strategic Advisory Board. He is a member of the New York Stock Exchange, FSA registered and has certification in Series 7, 9, 10, 24 and 63.
Derivatives Leaders Forum 2010 is produced by GoldenNetworking.net (http://www.goldennetworking.net), the premier networking community for business executives, entrepreneurs, investors and diplomats, founded by former McKinsey consultant and Columbia Business School MBA Edgar Perez. Upcoming Golden Networking's Forums and Business Receptions include:
* High-Frequency Trading Happy Hour, (http://www.HFTHappyHour.com), August 10th, New York City
* Distressed Investing Experts Forum 2010, "Analyzing and Valuing Distressed Companies, Securities and Real Estate" (http://www.DistressedInvestingExpertsForum.com), September 23rd, New York City
* High-Frequency Trading Experts Workshop 2010, "Practical Implementation of High-Frequency Trading Strategies" (http://www.HFTExpertsWorkshop.com), London, October 4 & 5 2010, New York, October 7 & 8 2010, Dubai, October 25 & 26 2010, and Hong Kong, October 28 & 29 2010
* 2nd China Leaders Forum, "Challenges and Opportunities for China's Economic Juggernaut" (http://www.ChinaLeadersForum.com), October 6th, New York City
* Latin America Leaders Forum 2010, "Unlikely Oasis of Growth amid the Global Economic Crisis?" (http://www.LatinAmericaLeadersForum.com), October 21st, New York City
* 2nd Banking Leaders Forum, "Private Banking on the Brink of Transformational Change" (http://www.BankingLeadersForum.com), November 11th, New York City
* Global Energy Leaders Forum 2010, "Proposals and Solutions for Today's Global Energy Challenges" (http://www.GlobalEnergyLeadersForum.com), December 2nd, New York City
* 2nd Private Equity Leaders Forum, "Setting the Stage for Radical Transformation in 2011 and Beyond" (http://www.PrivateEquityLeadersForum.com), December 9th, New York City
Golden Networking has compiled the insights of top experts and industry practitioners and produced DVD Video Packages for its Leaders Forums, including:
* Distressed Investing Leaders Forum 2009 DVD Video Package, "The Most Comprehensive Guide for Any Investor in Distressed Assets", http://www.DistressedInvestingLeadersForum.com
* Distressed Investing Leaders Forum 2010 DVD Video Package, "Extraordinary Opportunities Investors Cannot Afford to Pass", http://www.DistressedInvestingLeadersForum.com
* High-Frequency Trading Experts Forum 2010 DVD Video Package, "Starting and Running a High-Frequency Trading Operation", http://www.HFTExpertsForum.com
* Hedge Funds Leaders Forum 2010 DVD Video Package, "Generating Alpha in Challenging Times", http://www.HedgeFundsLeadersForum.com
* High-Frequency Trading Experts Forum 2010 DVD Video Package, "Innovating and Profiting from High-Frequency Trading in 2010 and Beyond", http://www.HFTLeadersForum.com
Panelists, speakers and sponsors are invited to contact Golden Networking by sending an email to email@example.com. Golden Networking has been frequently featured in the press, including recent articles in The New York Times, "Golden Networking Helps Job Seekers Make Overseas Connections" (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/07/nyregion/07network.html), Los Angeles Times, "Speed-addicted traders dominate today's stock market" (http://articles.latimes.com/2010/may/16/business/la-fi-new-exchanges-20100516), Reuters, "Revamp looms as trading experts huddle at SEC" (http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6504U820100601) and Columbia Business School's Hermes Alumni Magazine, "10 Under 10" (http://www7.gsb.columbia.edu/alumni/news/ten-under-ten).
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||PR.com (Press Releases)|
|Date:||Jul 22, 2010|
|Previous Article:||Members of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated Embark on Business Venture to Cater to Members of Sorority.|
|Next Article:||DBI Consulting's BEACOP Meeting Attracts Leaders of Industry.|