Printer Friendly

Court order to shut down club's kitchen; HYGIENE SCARE: Decomposing rat found at venue booked by wedding party.

Byline: By Helen Thomas

A COVENTRY club has been ordered to shut down its kitchen after environmental health officers found a dead rat during a spot check.

They visited Binley Private Members' Club and Banqueting Hall, in Grange Road, Binley, last Friday.

Yesterday, the council was granted an emergency prohibition order by city magistrates.

Environmental health officer Sarah Greenway told the court she had visited the club, which hosts weddings and other social functions, with pest control officers.

"When we got there we found a dead rat underneath the washing machine in the washing up area. It was badly decomposed so had been there for a few weeks.

"There were a large number of droppings in the storage area which were very fresh."

She said because of the imminent risk to health she had issued a notice to the club's owners that the council would be applying for a prohibition order to close the food preparation areas.

A wedding held on Saturday at the club had to be catered for by an outside company.

Officers are due to visit the club again tomorrow, to re-inspect it.

In two other separate cases, two men were each fined pounds 300 and ordered to pay pounds 200 costs by magistrates after pleading guilty to contravening food hygiene regulations.

Mammohan Hayer, aged 34, who owns SS Hayer International Food Store, in Mansel Street, Foleshill, was dealt with for failing to keep the premises in good repair, not having adequate pest control and failing to keep food from contamination.

Prosecuting, Amy Jacobs said a routine inspection by health inspectors on January 4 found the shop was generally dirty, the fridge was damaged and there was also a rat infestation.

"Droppings were found in the Asian savoury section, among the herbs and spices and where cakes and biscuits were sold.

They had also gnawed through food packaging," she said.

The shop was closed for the day but after another inspection was reopened because it had been cleaned and pest control measures put in place.

Zedan Ali, aged 24, of The Boxhill, Stoke Aldermoor, admitted failing to keep his restaurant, Sular Doner Kebab, in Primrose Hill Street, Hillfields, clean, not providing adequate pest control and failing to have a wash basin in the kitchen.

The prosecution followed an inspection last November.

The shop was closed for several weeks. It is now under new ownership and has reopened under another

CAPTION(S):

CONCERNS... The club in Binley and (left) the food store in Foleshill which was found to be in a dirty state during an inspection in January. Pictures: Mark Radford MR101007BINL1
COPYRIGHT 2007 Coventry Newpapers
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2007 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

 
Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Coventry Evening Telegraph (England)
Date:Oct 11, 2007
Words:434
Previous Article:Parents failing on web skills.
Next Article:Pitchfork drama at horse fair.
Topics:

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2018 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters