Printer Friendly

Couple cooked to death.

AN ELDERLY couple died from overheating after forgetting to switch off their new electric oven.

Raymond Elsom, 74, and his wife Doreen, 70, died after sitting in temperatures of 49C (120F).

All four hobs were glowing bright red when their bodies were found by their son Darren last May.

He bought them the electric hob and oven two weeks before because he feared they would die in a gas explosion because of their forgetfulness.

Darren, 40, arranged for it to be fitted after finding Raymond slumped over the gas stove with all four hobs turned on but unlit.

Former lollipop lady Doreen and retired builder Raymond had lived at their home in Leeds for 40 years. They were married for 46 years.

In his statement, Darren told Leeds Coroner's Court: "The heat was so intense and the rings on the cooker were bright red. It was like an inferno."

Pathologist Peter Vanezis said the pair died from hyperthermia - overheating.

Coroner David Hinchliff recorded a verdict of accidental death.

CAPTION(S):

TRAGIC: The OAPs' home
COPYRIGHT 2008 Scottish Daily Record & Sunday
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2008 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Daily Record (Glasgow, Scotland)
Date:Sep 24, 2008
Words:174
Previous Article:On the web at www.dailyrecord.co.uk.
Next Article:Labour cash row.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters