Council accused of abandoning plans to save historic pier; IT 'S REFUSING TO TALK RESTORATION, SAYS TRUST CONSULTANT.
Byline: DAVID POWELL Daily Post Reporter email@example.com
A CAMPAIGNER is claiming a council is refusing to discuss restoration plans for a Grade II listed pier.
Mark Pavey, a consultant for Colwyn Victoria Pier Trust (CVPT), claims Conwy County Borough Council has effectively abandoned its twin track approach of both supporting the group in its Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) bids and seeking Cadw permission to delist it and demolish it.
But the local authotity has defended its stance on the future of the crumbling landmark.
Mr Pavey said: "They are refusing to speak to the Trust, who have employed architects and consultants."
In May, the HLF rejected the Trust's PS9.6m grant bid to restore the 115-year-old structure, citing a lack of support from Conwy County Borough Council.
The Trust is aiming to bid again in December 2016 and issued sketches of what it could look like, based on 2011 plans by architects Purcell Miller Tritton.
Mr Pavey said: "It's clear from what the Heritage Lottery Fund says that we have to have an open channel of communication with the local authority for any future bid."
CVPT want to restore the pier to its glory at the heart of the Bay as a "viable and sustainable mixed use facility for local people and visitors to enjoy which is run as a social enterprise that can contribute to the regeneration of the town."
Conwy County Borough Council defended its stance.
A spokeswoman said: "The 'twin track' approach is continuing.
"Conwy County Borough Council's element of the twin track is the pursuit of consent to demolish (as per the Council's Resolution of December 2013) and the other element of the twin track (restoration) is being pursued by CVPT with Bay of Colwyn Town Council." In October, the demolition of the pier moved a step closer after Steven Hunt failed in his High Court campaign to get his hands back on the Victorian gem.
Top judge, Mr Justice Morgan, said the pier was unsafe, in danger of collapsing into the sea at any moment and had been valued at "minus" PS600,000 to PS1m.
Mr Hunt was in no financial position to restore the derelict pier and Conwy County Borough Council already had planning permission to demolish it, the judge said.
The court also heard that Conwy was spending PS100,000 a year keeping it safe and, having obtained planning consent, all it needed now was listed building consent before demolition could go ahead.
Colwyn Bay pier |and (below) Trust consultant Mark Pavey
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||Daily Post (Conwy, Wales)|
|Date:||Dec 21, 2015|
|Previous Article:||Two poisoned cats put down in Rhyl.|
|Next Article:||IT HAPPENED ON THIS DAY.|