Could you be magnesium deficient?
Cramps can be caused by a lack of magnesium Could you be magnesium deficient? MAGNESIUM - whether consumed via supplements or eating a diet rich in dark, leafy veg, whole wheat, nuts and beans - is the blanket mineral that keeps your entire body ticking over on a daily basis.
The average healthy adult requires around 270-400mg of magnesium per day, but three-quarters of Brits aren't getting enough. Here are five warning signs to look out for...
1. MUSCLE CRAMPS are very common, especially if you're cold, but they can also be down to lack of magnesium. An important tool for muscle relaxation, when your body is depleted of magnesium, your muscles can involuntarily contract. Twitches, tremors and cramps are signs that you're not getting enough.
2. CHOCOLATE CRAVINGS WHEN our bodies crave foods, it's often because they're telling us that we're lacking in a certain nutrient, and dark chocolate is a brilliant source of magnesium. One square has about 24% of your daily requirement. Skip sugar-laden milk chocolate and opt for a bar with at least 65% cocoa.
3. HEADACHES STUDIES have shown that low brain magnesium levels could be related to migraine attacks, as magnesium is needed for proper nerve function. If you regularly suffer from migrainelike headaches, invest in a daily magnesium supplement - but speak to your doctor first if you're on any medication, and if your headaches are ongoing.
4. TROUBLE SLEEPING MAGNESIUM can help to relax our muscles, while stimulating a neurotransmitter in our bodies called GABA, which has a naturally calming effect on the brain. If a bout of insomnia is coming on, try soaking in a magnesium-rich bath of Epsom salts and reap the benefits.
5. ANXIETY A STUDY in France of 264 patients with generalised anxiety disorder found that a statistically significant number of men and women reported improvements in symptoms on a magnesium regimen.
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||Huddersfield Daily Examiner (Huddersfield, England)|
|Date:||Mar 13, 2018|
|Previous Article:||10 THINGS EVERY MAN SHOULD KNOW ABOUT PROSTATE CANCER; As it's revealed that Stephen Fry and Bill Turnbull both have the disease, CAROLINE JONES...|
|Next Article:||TARPEY JOAN On 28th February [...].|