Printer Friendly

Corn on the cob leaves Hooch feeling ruff; Crazy bulldog needs surgery after raiding the bin.

Byline: Neil Atkinson Head of News neil.atkinson@examiner.co.uk

GREEDY American Bulldog Hooch needed emergency surgery after wolfing down a corn on the cob husk from his owner's bin.

Sarah Baldwin, from Elland, had placed the husk in the bin after having a quick bite to eat before work.

But as soon as she left the house Hooch, 11, stuck his head in the trash and got his paws on the tasty treat.

He was one of many pets who had to have medical treatment after swallowing silly objects.

The PDSA has revealed stones, babies' dummies, socks and even kebab sticks were among hundreds of weird and wonderful items their vets surgically removed from pet patients last year.

The charity treated nearly 400 pets for swallowing things they shouldn't.

In Elland, mother of three Sarah, 40, said: "The next day Hooch wasn't himself at all. He was sick, he wasn't eating and didn't want to walk. One of my sons had seen him finishing off the corn-onthe-cob so we did a quick Google search and were horrified at how dangerous they can be for dogs."

Hooch was rushed straight to PDSA's Bradford Pet Hospital where vets performed X-rays which revealed something lurking in his intestines.

The family were warned that their beloved pet would need an emergency operation to remove the cob as it could cause a fatal blockage.

PDSA head nurse Miriam Wilson said: "We had to open up Hooch's intestine to remove a large piece of corn husk and some smaller pieces that had broken off.

"Corn-on-the-cob cases are ones we see quite a lot. It's important pet owners recognise how dangerous they can be, especially at this time of year as it's barbecue season. In most case it is fatal if it's not treated, as the husk can completely block the digestive system."

Hooch was kept at the hospital for two days before being discharged on pain relief and antibiotics. He has since gone on to make a full recovery.

Thanks to funding from the People's Postcode Lottery, PDSA is educating pet owners about the phenomenon of pets eating strange objects and how to keep their animals safe.

COPYRIGHT 2016 MGN Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2016 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Huddersfield Daily Examiner (Huddersfield, England)
Date:Jun 17, 2016
Words:363
Previous Article:Haunting memories.
Next Article:'This is.
Topics:

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2021 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters |