Printer Friendly

Corfu mum: Protect kids from killer gas; Campaign to make parents aware of CO detectors when on hols.

Byline: EXCLUSIVE BY EMMA PRYER

A MUM whose two children were killed by carbon monoxide poisoning on a Thomas Cook holiday is launching a campaign with ITV's Loose Women to raise awareness of the lethal gas.

Sharon Wood lost daughter Christi Shepherd, seven, and son Bobby, six, when a faulty boiler leaked fumes into their Corfu hotel room in 2006 while they were on holiday with their father and his partner.

Now Sharon, 44, will tell her tragic story on the daytime show on Tuesday and help the Loose Women stars give away 3,000 portable carbon monoxide alarms to viewers.

Sharon said: "If my family had taken a CO detector on holiday, Christi and Bobby would be with us. There is nothing more important to a mother than keeping her family safe, particularly away from home.

"We pack Calpol and plasters and now it is time we all take a CO monitor too. This campaign will help protect an extra 3,000 families. It is fantastic to be joining forces with Loose Women."

On Wednesday's show viewers will also be given tips by carbon monoxide experts on how to keep their homes safe. Survivors of carbon monoxide poisoning will also tell their stories.

Loose Women editor Siobhan O'Gorman said: "Lives are being lost to carbon monoxide poisoning and people are experiencing permanent health problems because they're unaware of the causes of this gas and how to protect themselves. Loose Women's awareness campaign, Say No To CO, will address this and we aim to keep 3,000 families safer this summer in our alarm giveaway."

Sharon, of Wakefield, West Yorks, is also working with Thomas Cook to raise awareness of how deadly the gas, which gives off no smell, can be. Loose Women presenter Coleen Nolan said: "I was so moved by Sharon's story. It's so important to create awareness of CO." Fellow panellist Linda Robson added: "This campaign is very close to my heart as a friend of mine had carbon monoxide poisoning abroad.

"There was a leak in the holiday apartment where he was staying. He was terribly ill but luckily he made a full recovery."

CAPTION(S):

WARNING: Sharon

KILLED: Christi and Bobby

COPYRIGHT 2015 MGN LTD
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2015 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

 
Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Sunday Mirror (London, England)
Date:Jun 28, 2015
Words:366
Previous Article:Connie sings again after drugs drama.
Next Article:Cheryl rants at RiRi over album delay.
Topics:

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2018 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters