Printer Friendly

Cooking sparks blazes.

Fire crews were called to two house fires in Middlesbrough today - both sparked by unattended cookers and involving missing or defective smoke alarms.

Firefighters from Middlesbrough were called to an elderly man's smoke-logged home in Whinney Banks Road soon after 8am.

They discovered the battery had been removed from a ground floor smoke alarm - luckily the man was alerted by the smoke alarm on the upper floor.

The crews were then immediately sent to a fire in Wicklow Street in the town centre.

There was no smoke alarm in the house.

Station Officer Bill Hatfield, of Middlesbrough fire station, said: "The significant things were both fires were started in food left unattended in cookers and both had some problem with the smoke alarms."

* You can get a free home visit by fire crews to talk about a fire safety plan and have smoke alarms fitted by calling your local fire station.
COPYRIGHT 2003 MGN Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2003 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:News Local
Publication:Evening Gazette (Middlesbrough, England)
Date:Dec 16, 2003
Words:151
Previous Article:Convoy threatens traffic mayhem.
Next Article:Cash rise for Tees.


Related Articles
Faulty stove starts caravan blaze.
Safety alerts after fire death.
Fatal blaze started by pan.
28 homeless after Riffa blaze ordeal.
Stove blaze in bedroom.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2021 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters