Printer Friendly

Convicted Libyan claims he had no involvement in Pan Am bombing.

AIRLINE INDUSTRY INFORMATION-(C)1997-2001 M2 COMMUNICATIONS LTD

Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed Al Megrahi, the Libyan man convicted of bombing Pan Am flight 103 in 1988, has stated that he had nothing to do with the disaster.

Al Megrahi made the comment during an interview from his Netherlands prison cell with the Arab daily newspaper Asharq Al-Awsat, and also indicated that he was fasting (not on a hunger strike as previously reported) in order to be closer to God.

During the interview, Al Megrahi challenged the testimony of the Maltese shopkeeper who identified Al Megrahi as a customer who had purchased the clothes believed to have been wrapped around the bomb, stating: 'This Maltese man, since his first testimony, said I was 50 years old. At that time I was in my 30s. He said I was black, then he changed his testimony before the court saying I was not black.'

((Comments on this story may be sent to aii.feedback@m2.com))
COPYRIGHT 2001 Normans Media Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2001 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Airline Industry Information
Date:Feb 13, 2001
Words:162
Previous Article:Finnair encourages passengers to exercise with in-flight videos.
Next Article:SriLankan Airlines aircraft makes emergency landing after tyre bursts.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2021 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters |