Printer Friendly

Construction underway on 2 downtown facades.

Construction is now under way on the facade restoration of two major downtown New York public buildings, the Federal Office Building, located at 90 Church Street, and the Canal Street Station Post Office, located on the Northwest corner of the intersection of Church and Canal Streets, completed in 1935 and 1939, respectively. Both are State Landmarks and listed in both State and National Registries of Historic Places.

Under the direction of Slomanson Smith & Barresi Architects, New York, New York, work on the Canal Street Station Post Office located on the completion in April, 1993, and on the Federal Office Building in August, 1993.

Located at a focal point of the SoHo Cast Iron Historic District, the Canal Street Station Post Office was commissioned by the United States Treasury Procurement Department Division in 1937. Drawings by Architect of Record, Alan Balch Mills, were completed and approved by representatives of the Public Buildings Branch in September, 1937. The building was completed in 1939, and was listed in the National Register of Historic Places May 11, 1989.

Bordered on Canal Street on the North, Church Street on the East, and Lispenard Street on the South, the building comprises approximately half of this city block with a depth of 149 feet from Church Street to the property line between Church Street and West Broadway to the West. The Church Street frontage is 161 feet.

90 Church Street, commonly known as the Federal Office Building, is bordered by Church Street on the East, Barclay Street on the North, West Broadway on the West, and Vesey Street on the South. It has several stories above grade in a rectangular shape, measuring approximately 370 by 206 feet. The seventh floor level to the fifteenth floor is set back in an "H" shape with overall approximate measurements of 335' by 165'.

The building was completed in 1935 during the Administration of James A. Farley, postmaster general. The Architect of Record was Cross and Cross in association with Pennington, Lewis and Mills Associates. The corner sculptured eagles on the seventh floor, sculptured stone corners on the fifteenth floor, and articulated column bases, caps and second floor window-head horizontal band were carved by C. Paul Jennewein.
COPYRIGHT 1992 Hagedorn Publication
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 1992, Gale Group. All rights reserved. Gale Group is a Thomson Corporation Company.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:Federal Office Building and Canal Street Station Post Office under restoration in New York, New York
Publication:Real Estate Weekly
Date:Dec 9, 1992
Words:366
Previous Article:Built-to-suit facility completed.
Next Article:Opening ceremonies held for the Sutton hotel.
Topics:


Related Articles
Mother/son team restoring 95 Madison to 1912 'grandeur.' (Sklars)
Galbreath Company begins $7M fix-up at 14 Wall Street.
Danbury, CT, forges redevelopment plan.
Restaurant to occupy Bridgeport landmark.
Renovation repositions tower at 67 Wall Street.
Times Square's Candler Building to be restored.
Trinity Real Estate wins BOMA award.
EDC issues RFP for BOE site.
Art deco dame restored to former glory with a $20m renovation.
College commits to 118,000 s/f at One Hudson Sq.

Terms of use | Copyright © 2017 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters